1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 20, 2009 11:47 AM by philmodjunk

Save local update externally when Idle or Closing filemaker solution

gunnerstudio

Title

Save local update externally when Idle or Closing filemaker solution

Hi. I working with my Filemaker 10 solution and an external filemaker server 9 where I work from. I find if sometime it lags, or having high latency. Is there anyway to create a mirror solution where all the data get stored locally on my filemaker database, then when the there is no activity or when closing or create a Saving script, the database will update the external database? Any help would be much appreciated.   

• 1. Re: Save local update externally when Idle or Closing filemaker solution
          philmodjunk

A lot depends on your DB design. Are the records subject to change after they've been created?

I have a system with a built in mirror file where records are regularly imported into the mirror file from the main file. This works in this specific because the records being imported are invoice records and the import script in the mirror file is triggered when the invoice is printed. Since printed invoices are no longer subject to being edited, the backed up tag records in the mirror file exactly match the records for printed invoices in the main file.

I wouldn't try this with other types of databases where data in the record is periodically edited--though an update type of import records step might be possible in those situations.