5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 8, 2014 11:49 AM by philmodjunk

Save Print in Container

Gilo

Title

Save Print in Container

Hello

I have FM print me letters out. This works like a charm.

But as we also use the DB as archive, I was wondering, if there is a way to save the print right into our DB into a Container field??

Thx

• 1. Re: Save Print in Container
          philmodjunk

You'd need to save a PDF of the output and then insert the PDF into your container field. This could be scripted to make it an automatic process.

• 2. Re: Save Print in Container
            Gilo

Thx for your reply

Do you have a link or a clue how I could find a script doing this?

• 3. Re: Save Print in Container
              philmodjunk

Here's a thread on how to use  $Path variable to save a PDF: Found Sets to PDF with unique file names

Once you have the PDF saved and this $Path variable that records to where it has been saved, Insert File or Insert PDF can be used with this variable to insert it into a container field. A good location to which to save the PDF is the temporary folder so that you don't clutter up your computer with a lot of unneeded PDF file copies.

Here's a thread on $path variables, container fields and the script steps that use them: Exploring the use of a $Path Variable in Scripts

Caulkins Consulting, Home of Adventures In FileMaking

• 4. Re: Save Print in Container
                Gilo

Thank you but I have a problem with putting the pdf. 

I have a var $$path which goes to "file:"&Get(documentPath)&"file.pdf"

FM saves the file correctly but if I go to my container field, I select it and say put pdf, where I say source file is $$path

FM tells me that the file file.pdf is not there, why?????

• 5. Re: Save Print in Container
                  philmodjunk

You'll need to post the actual script that you are using.

Also, be advised that the Insert File script and Insert PDF script steps will not work unless the container field is present on the current layout when the script step executes.

To post a script to the forum:

1. You can upload a screen shot of your script by using the Upload an Image controls located just below Post a New Answer.
                  3. You can print a script to a PDF, open the PDF and then select and copy the script as text from the opened PDF to your clipboard for pasting here. (with this approach, you can get multiple script steps on the same line, please edit the pasted text by inserting some returns to separate those steps.)
                  5. If You have FileMaker Advanced, you can generate a database design report and copy the script as text from there.
                  7. If you paste a text form of the script, you can use the Script Pretty box in the Known Bugs List database to paste a version that is single spaced and indented for a more professional and easier to read format.