9 Replies Latest reply on Jun 3, 2009 10:00 AM by philmodjunk

Save to PDF only saves page being viewed

BEAUCASTLE

Title

Save to PDF only saves page being viewed

I am using Filemaker Pro Advance on a Mac w 10.5.  I have one layout and am importing data from excell into a one page sales lead layout.  Very simple stuff. No scripts, etc.

Now when I go to Save as PDF, only the page (record) I am viewing is saved as a PDF.   If I do a new layout in a new file, all is ok.  I want to know how this happened.  Obviously I can redo the layout and start over but I am concerned i will end up in the same place.  I have spent hours on this so would appreciate the help.

• 1. Re: Save to PDF only saves page being viewed
          mmccarty

A few options:

In preview mode, are you looking at all the records you want or is it only one record?  Because if it is only one record then you need to "show all records" before you go into preview mode.

If you are "showing all records" or at least all the ones you want, then try shortening the body Part in layout mode, this will allow more then one record on a page

When you are exporting to PDF, I know there is an option to only include "found" records.  I think it only exists when using the script step but check the dialog box just incase it is there and marked.

I hope one of these helps, nothing sucks more then being stuck on one detail.  Good Luck!

• 2. Re: Save to PDF only saves page being viewed
            philmodjunk

With save send records as... | PDF,

You have Three save options in your dialog box to look at: Records being browsed, current record, blank record. Make sure that Records Being Browsed is selected if you want a PDF of all the records in your current layout's found set.

• 3. Re: Save to PDF only saves page being viewed
              BEAUCASTLE

In preview mode I could see one page at a time, since my layouts are one record - one page... I could always move from page to page but only "see" one page at a time.

I shortened the body and this is what I think fixed it.  THANKS!!!   It is very odd that there is no way to "see" this.  I have a graphics backround and this appears to be basic to me.

I could not find the the "found" records option so I think you are right about it being in scripts.

AGAIN, THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!! 

• 4. Re: Save to PDF only saves page being viewed
                BEAUCASTLE
                   Phil, this did not make a difference.  
                • 5. Re: Save to PDF only saves page being viewed
                  mrvodka
                     Try showing all records first before you Save as PDF.
                  • 6. Re: Save to PDF only saves page being viewed
                    BEAUCASTLE

When I "shortened the body" in the layout mode, my multiple records saved to multiple page pdf's solving my problem.

It appears to me that when the layout elements are bigger than the page, the "save to pdf" function does not see multiple pages, then only saves the first page.

• 7. Re: Save to PDF only saves page being viewed
                      philmodjunk

I'm getting different results.

I modified the body of one of my layouts so that it extends past the page break line into two pages/record. When I preview the layout with a 3 record found set, I see all 6 pages.

I then used Save/Send Records as | PDF...

and generated a PDF with records being browsed selected. I got a PDF of all 6 pages exactly matching the preview as one would expect.

I used FMP 10 advanced, on a Windows XP SP2 system.

The only other possible factor that I can discover is that you can specify a specific page range if you click the Options button. Thus, I could get just the first page if I set that option to just specify the first page. It seems unlikely that this is what's happening in your case though.

• 8. Re: Save to PDF only saves page being viewed
                        BEAUCASTLE

I also had a header at the bottom of the page.  All I know is I changed the body and removed the header and it started saving to pdf correctly.  If you want to fool around with it, I can send you a file that is still messed up (I think I have a copy.)  Unfortunately, that is all I know.

Do you see all three pages at once when you preview the layout or do you have to click through them? I see one page at a time in the preview.

• 9. Re: Save to PDF only saves page being viewed
                          philmodjunk

"Do you see all three pages at once when you preview the layout or do you have to click through them? I see one page at a time in the preview."

Preview is designed to show you what will happen when you print or PDF. As such it only shows one page at a time and you have to use the "book" control to click through the pages one at a time. This is normal behavior. In my case, I had 6 pages (2 for each of the 3 records) in both preview and the PDF file.

If you'd like to send me the file, click my forum name and send me a private message and I'll reply with my email address.