4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 15, 2011 8:43 AM by Quarterly

Saving a history without creating a new record

Quarterly

Title

Saving a history without creating a new record

I've been using Filemaker 8.5 for a few years now, but wasn't around when the template was created and/or installed. No one who was here at the time has any idea what went on. 

I'm creating a new database with Filemaker 11. My clients' records are updated annually. The contact information is the same, but the context of their relationship with us changes. 

In our other database there is a button that starts a New Transaction. When clicked, it retains contact information, saves the context to a report that is updated every time New Transaction is clicked, and allows for new data to be input. In short nothing is overwritten and a new record is not created, this one is updated instead. 

I've spent the last week familiarizing myself with FM11 tools, and the support boards, but I cannot figure out how to set this up. Am I looking to create a portal? Am I better off hiring a professional for this part? 

If anyone can steer me in the right direction, I might be able to figure out the specifics on my own. But at this point I don't know how to get there without duplicating or creating a new record. If FM8.5 doesn't do that, I imagine FM11 doesn't have to either. Any input is welcome. Thank you in advance. 

• 1. Re: Saving a history without creating a new record
          philmodjunk

This statement seems contradictory:

In our other database there is a button that starts a New Transaction. When clicked, it retains contact information, saves the context to a report that is updated every time New Transaction is clicked, and allows for new data to be input. In short nothing is overwritten and a new record is not created, this one is updated instead. 

As I read that sentence, either a new record is created to log this change, or an existing record is overwritten (updated). Yet on one hand you say that a record is not overwritten, but in another you say that it is updated?

I suggest describing your issue a little more detail. It's certainly possible to maintain a history file where a new record is created each time the "context of their relationship" changes. By displaying these records in a portal, you can sort them so that the most recent such record is visibile at the top or is even the only one currently visible.

Does this sound like what you want or do you have something different in mind?

• 2. Re: Saving a history without creating a new record
            Sorbsbuster

- Phil Is it that there is a LogField that is set to be

-

Report Date 1/1/2011: Here is the data that was on the record at this time... blah, blah

-

...and when they click the button again it updates that same field to be:

-

Report Date 3/1/2011: Here is the data that was added the record at this  time... blah2, blah2

---

Report Date 1/1/2011: Here is the data that was on the record at this  time... blah, blah

-

...and then wipes the original data in the original record (YIKES!)?

It seems to fit the description "it retains contact information, saves the context to a report that  is updated every time New Transaction is clicked" etc

• 3. Re: Saving a history without creating a new record
              philmodjunk

I gather that you DON'T want this? Wink

"...and then wipes the original data in the original record (YIKES!)?"

I'd set up a related table, History, for this with at least three fields:

CustomerID (number)

DateofChange ( date field, auto-enter the creation date)

HistoryNote ( text)

You'd have this relationship:  YourMaintable::CustomerID = History::CustomerID  //enable "allow creation of records via this relationship for History

Now you can display your history of past relationship changes in a portal sorted by DateofChange to put the most recent change at the top of the portal. A script can create the related record in this table to log any change as it occurs. The act of creating the History record will automatically log the date in the DateofChange field.

• 4. Re: Saving a history without creating a new record
                Quarterly

By setting up the related table, will the information from the fields in the first table copy to the related fields in the second table? I feel like I missed a step. 

I'll try to simplify my fondest FM desires.

1. Click button (which I know how to make and attach to the appropriate tables)

2. Contact information stays, information from last transaction gets saved on a record (with all previous transactions of that client)

3. New record is not created, but I can update the one for which I just clicked a button. So I supposed when I said not overwritten, I meant it was overwritten after it was saved on the other table.

Thank you so much! You have no idea how happy I am to have been pointed in a direction of some sort. Any further advice is most welcome.