AnsweredAssumed Answered

Saving a history without creating a new record

Question asked by Quarterly on Feb 14, 2011
Latest reply on Feb 15, 2011 by Quarterly

Title

Saving a history without creating a new record

I've been using Filemaker 8.5 for a few years now, but wasn't around when the template was created and/or installed. No one who was here at the time has any idea what went on. 

I'm creating a new database with Filemaker 11. My clients' records are updated annually. The contact information is the same, but the context of their relationship with us changes. 

In our other database there is a button that starts a New Transaction. When clicked, it retains contact information, saves the context to a report that is updated every time New Transaction is clicked, and allows for new data to be input. In short nothing is overwritten and a new record is not created, this one is updated instead. 

I've spent the last week familiarizing myself with FM11 tools, and the support boards, but I cannot figure out how to set this up. Am I looking to create a portal? Am I better off hiring a professional for this part? 

If anyone can steer me in the right direction, I might be able to figure out the specifics on my own. But at this point I don't know how to get there without duplicating or creating a new record. If FM8.5 doesn't do that, I imagine FM11 doesn't have to either. Any input is welcome. Thank you in advance. 

Outcomes