1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 25, 2011 10:06 AM by philmodjunk

Saving data on different panels

RenFox

Title

Saving data on different panels

I have four panels set up for my current database. For some reason I am unable to save any data that was created in fields from my third panel. There is nothing different (that I can find) about the way I created Panel #3, but everytime I enter data into the fields on that page it does not get saved.  I will go through the entire page of fields and fill them all in, but as soon as I click anything outside of the field areas or onto another Panel page the entire set of fields wipes clean and becomes blank again. My records also do not indicated that there was ever any data or records saved from that one Panel.

Is this a glitch or a common occurence and something I can easily fix? I tried going through everything on panels 1, 2, and 4 to see if I have anything different that I forgot to do, but I cannot seem to find any common data entry, table, or relation that I am missing.

Thank you!

• 1. Re: Saving data on different panels
          philmodjunk

I could be wrong as I am speculating from very limited information but it sounds like these are fields from a related table occurrence. They may be inside a portal or they may not be. In layout mode, they'll show :: before each field name if I am right.

If that's what's happening here, FileMaker is allowing you to enter data into the related record, but either nothing is being entered to form a valid relationship between your layout's current record and the related record or the data doesn't meet the requirements of a portal filter if you are using FileMaker 11 and these fields are inside a portal. Either way, once you commit the records either the relationship or the portal kicks in and hides this data from your view. If you open a layout directly to this record, you'll find the data is present in that table, just not visible on your tab panel #3.

You'll need to check relationship settings and any portal filter to see figure out why this is happening.