3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 20, 2014 10:23 PM by celiacomrie

Saving found sets which are not criteria based

celiacomrie

Title

Saving found sets which are not criteria based

I used to use bento and this allowed be to save selections of records for later retrieval.  These selections are only partly criteria based, supplemented by manual effort.  The reason for this is the records are teaching material and I may need all records relating to a certain topic, or I may want to produce a random set, or a semi structured set.  The save find function only works if you use criteria - if you try to omit a record or extend the find through requests menu the save find just saves the last action.  I have exported to PDF but then I cannot amend if I later want to slightly adjust or make alterations - I have to start again.  All very cumbersome.  Is saving manually assembled sets of records simply not available functionality in Filemaker?

• 1. Re: Saving found sets which are not criteria based
          philmodjunk

Try using save/send records as snap shot link. You can open the file produced by this "save" and it should reproduce the found set you had at the time you selected this option. This file could then be inserted into a container field to keep it with your database.

Or you can save a list of Primary Key values in a field and use it via a Go To Related Records step to recreate your found set of records. In FileMaker 13, the new "list of" summary field can make this much simpler to set up than in earlier versions, but you'll still need to set up a system to recreate the found set from this list.

• 2. Re: Saving found sets which are not criteria based
            SteveMartino

You can do this by scripting.  Write a script that loops and collects all the specific primary keys of your set of records.  Save this and give it a name.  Then you can retrieve it later.  I'm heading out the door right now, if you don't get a complete answer by the time I get back, Ill post the process & script

• 3. Re: Saving found sets which are not criteria based
              celiacomrie

Many thanks.  Having more or less got a working solution I had resisted further efforts to get to really know the programme - I had avoided scripts for example altogether.  The forum is great f can move forward again now.  Many thanks both.