7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 28, 2013 8:07 AM by philmodjunk

Saving PDF files on a network filemaker database

JeffreyMarkham

Title

Saving PDF files on a network filemaker database

Hi,
            My apologies if this has been answered before .. I searched and didn't find anything quite
           similar.

I wrote a script to build up a PDF file .. save it to a folder (relative to the database ) and then
           attach that PDF file to an email message for sending. This all works great on the host where the
           DB is resident.

I would like to do the same thing on a remote database ... I've tried fmnet:://IP_Address/DB.fp12/<relative file path>

That didn't seem to work.

I then tried file:/Volume/mounted_volume_name/<folder>/<filename>

And that didn't seem to work either (even though the volume is a shared volume across our Macs
           (and,yes, this is on a Mac).

Any pointers as to what I might be doing wrong?

Thanks much,

Jeff

• 1. Re: Saving PDF files on a network filemaker database
          philmodjunk

How "remote" are you?

Is this from outside the network over which the database is hosted?

If so, there is no valid filepath that you can use unless you use VPN or remote desktop access to connect to the database.

• 2. Re: Saving PDF files on a network filemaker database
            JeffreyMarkham

Hi Phil,
                   I'm inside a LAN or coming in via a VPN connection. So, in theory, the fmnet:// path
                 should work? Somehow it does not.

Thanks

jeff

• 3. Re: Saving PDF files on a network filemaker database
              philmodjunk

It should be "File:volumename/folder/folder/file.pdf" on macs or

"File:DriveLetter:/folder/folder/file.pdf" on windows.

If this is on a server, you'll need to map/mount the shared volume on the client computer.

• 4. Re: Saving PDF files on a network filemaker database
                JeffreyMarkham

I had tried that as well and it was unable to open the file .. but it could be a permission issue .. I will
                     work on this more....

But, at least I took one of the options off-the-plate (which as fmnet:)...

thanks

• 5. Re: Saving PDF files on a network filemaker database
                  philmodjunk

In Windows machines, you have to go to My Computer and use the Map network drive option to map the shared folder to your computer. The big catch is that you need exactly the same drive letter and (if you didn't link directly to the folder) the same file path within that drive letter on every computer. And if you do not have "write" permissions on that folder, this won't work.

On some of my systems, I've added a button that executes a windows command line to map to the correct shared folder to make sure that it is consistent on all machines.

Mac systems are similar but not owning a mac, I can't spell out the details.

• 6. Re: Saving PDF files on a network filemaker database
                    JeffreyMarkham

Ok .. may a little progress .. however, the /Volumes paths are not working for me at all.

This is quote frustrating:

I mounted my volume and (via the terminal), can see it ...

so I do:

touch /Volumes/Database/PDFs/testFIle

That works fine.

I then make the *exact* same file path in my script

filemac:/Volumes/Database/PDFs/testFile

This does not work. FIlemaker can't create the testFile.

I completely open up the permissions on the directory via chmod 777

It is writable by anything .. I test this by doing an su to another user and do the "touch" on the Volume .. it's fine.

So, it's not a permission issue.

There must be some difference in the way Filemaker sees the filepath.

I also noticed (local) that / relative paths don't work unless you start with the Diskname.

e.g., "file://Macintosh HD/Users ......

So, using that, I've been able to make scratch folders .. but I really want them stored on the networked volume.

Any clue what I might try next?

thanks

jeff

• 7. Re: Saving PDF files on a network filemaker database
                      philmodjunk

For saving PDF's I always start the path text with "file:" as it is not dependent on the platform.

The file path has to be correct in every tiny detail or you get that rather misleading error message.

Given the // in your path that works, perhaps you need to start your path to the shared directory with file://volumename...?