4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 3, 2011 12:55 PM by GS

Saving PDF's to a container field

GS

Title

Saving PDF's to a container field

I've been reading what is here and I'd like to determine if what I want to do is possible.

This is for a mixed platform network.

I want to save a PDF to a container field directly in another table (not a reference).  What I'm reading suggests that I can't do that directly.  I can't imagine why?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Saving PDF's to a container field
          philmodjunk

You can do it in two steps.

Save it to a location on your hard drive (can be temporary items folder).

Then insert it from that location into a container.

This can be done by hand or via a script.

• 2. Re: Saving PDF's to a container field
            GS

Thanks for answering PhilModjunk.  

I think what you are saying is that I should save it to a Documnet folder in the file with the FMP files and then use the name to retrieve it to a container field in my table.  Naturally, I want to do this in a script.  The tool they give us doesn't seem to provide a way to save it directly to a table - is that right?

If you have an example script I would appreciate it.

Thanks

• 3. Re: Saving PDF's to a container field
              philmodjunk

If you save it to temporary items, you don't have to clean up a clutter of these pdf files later, so I suggest that location on your computer if you are not going to use the "store only a reference" option. If you use the "reference" option, you need to save to a location that is directly accessible by all users such as a shared directory that is mapped/mounted identically on all client machines.

To save the PDF:

Set Variable [ $Path ; Value:  "file:" & Get ( TemporaryPath ) & YourTable::FileNameField & ".PDF"]
              Save Records as PDF [Restore; no dialog ; "$Path" ; //specify the other options you need for your script here]
              Insert File [YourTable::YourContainerField ; "$Path"]

• 4. Re: Saving PDF's to a container field
                GS

Thanks for the help.  It works great.