One option is to enter layout mode and select the portal. Then select "slide up"; "resize enclosing part" on the Inspector's position tab in the sliding and visibility section.
A better option may be to stop using a layout with a portal for printing and saving as PDF. Instead, set up a list view layout based on the portal's table with fields from the parent record placed in the header, footer and/or grand summary layout parts of this layout. A script is normally used to bring up and sort a found set of the portal records whenever you want to print or save as PDF.
The Invoices starter solution that comes with FileMaker 12 uses this method to print invoices so you can open that starter solution and take a look if you need to see a working example of this method.
Key facts about sliding layout objects:
- It's only visible in preview mode and when you print/save as PDF...
- Sliding fields will shrink but not expand.
- All layout objects below and in the same layout part as the slide/resize field need to also be set to slide up and resize.
- Objects in headers and footers will not slide.
- Portals will shrink/slide to fit the number of rows of records, but fields within the portal row will not shrink/slide.
- Fields will slide up only if Top alignment is specified for it and will slide left only if Left alignment is specified.
- Consistent side borders are difficult to achieve with sliding fields.
- In FMP13, hidden objects (”Hide object when”) will slide/resize.
Solution A works very well for my purposes.
I appreciate the help.