1 2 Previous Next 19 Replies Latest reply on Oct 31, 2012 4:44 PM by MaxwellRobin

SAVING RECORDS OF FILES

MaxwellRobin

Title

SAVING RECORDS OF FILES

Hi All!

i was wondering if there was a way to save and archive filemaker documents

filemaker saves as it goes and you can never really go back to a place you were a few days ago

is there a script i could write or something to have the file save itself in a location and then lable it with the date and time and archhive it.

so lets say i do some work in the database then close the file and a few days later i want to go back to where i was that day

i could just go to the archived file that was up to date at that time

does this make sense?

thank you

• 1. Re: SAVING RECORDS OF FILES
          philmodjunk

see this thread: Saving Sequential Back Ups During Development

If you are using FileMaker 12, be sure to modify this script to use .fmp12 instead of .fp7 as the file extension.

• 2. Re: SAVING RECORDS OF FILES
            MaxwellRobin

Hey! So I did the script and modified what you said and it dozens seem to work. The B script step won't let me create the variable. I typed it in and a dialogue pops up with errors. I was wondering if you knew what the issue was or if FMP 12 won't work with this?

• 3. Re: SAVING RECORDS OF FILES
              RickWhitelaw

All my files save to an alternate location when closing. Time Machine (Mac) backs those files up every hour. It NEVER backs up open files. I'm sure there's something on Windows that will accomplish the same thing.

• 4. Re: SAVING RECORDS OF FILES
                schamblee

Phil's backup app works.  You must have a typo in your script B.

• 5. Re: SAVING RECORDS OF FILES
                  MaxwellRobin

so the script seems to have let me save it. does it automatically save every 15 min after i open the file or do i have to activate it? i did not create the hault save script.

could you explain how the script works?

• 6. Re: SAVING RECORDS OF FILES
                    philmodjunk

The first script steps up a time. As specified in the script, it has a 15 minute (in seconds) interval for the timer. Once a timer is set, it performs the designated script every 15 minutes. You can change this interval to any inteval that suits you. I've experienced enough "developer remorse" events to consider 15 minutes well worth the large number of back up copies that this produces. You can use Install OnTimer to set up only one such "timer" for a given FileMaker window.

The second script is the one performed each time the timer interval expires. It uses Save A Copy as to save a copy of the file to the same location as your current copy of the file, but with data from a time stamp appended to the file name in order to make the file name unique so that this copy does not overwrite older copies of the file.

If you use File Options to set it up so that Script "A" is run when the file opens, the set up is fully automated so that all you do is open the file and start working on it. It then saves every 15 minutes. I added the "halt" script as a way to stop the automatic saving. That way, you can leave the file open, but take a break, answer the phone or whatever and not have the system continue to churn out back ups of an unchanged file every 15 minutes. Once you have halted the timer, you must run Script A to start back up the system of automatic back ups.

You can also look up each script step in these scripts in FileMaker help to learn more about them.

• 7. Re: SAVING RECORDS OF FILES
                      MaxwellRobin

it works great! just to be obnoxious and this may be farfetched but is there a way to have it create a new folder called "filemaker archive" and then store the files there?

• 8. Re: SAVING RECORDS OF FILES
                        philmodjunk

Filemaker can't create a folder without "help" of some sort. You'd need a system script or a plug in to be able to do that.

• 9. Re: SAVING RECORDS OF FILES
                          MaxwellRobin

so it all works great but this is what the file name is when it saves. is it normal?

• 10. Re: SAVING RECORDS OF FILES
                            philmodjunk

No it is not. I suspect that you have some quotes where there shouldn't be any quotes. You want the value of $Path as the file name, not the actual text "$Path" as the file name.

• 11. Re: SAVING RECORDS OF FILES
                              MaxwellRobin

in the link you posted. developer's friend B. the last line of script says "$path" in quotes. what should i put there? 

• 12. Re: SAVING RECORDS OF FILES
                                philmodjunk

Use $Path without the quotes. FileMaker will display it with quotes after you enter it, but don't use quotes in the dialog where you enter this text.

• 13. Re: SAVING RECORDS OF FILES
                                  MaxwellRobin

i did so and still no such luck? could there be a setting i should click or change in any of the script steps?

• 14. Re: SAVING RECORDS OF FILES
                                    philmodjunk

I think you should post your script so we can see it in its entirety.

To post a script to the forum:

1.           You can upload a screen shot of your script by using the Upload an Image controls located just below Post A Answer.
                                    3.           You can print a script to a PDF, open the PDF and then select and copy the script as text from the opened PDF to your clipboard for pasting here.
                                    5.           If You have FileMaker Advanced, you can generate a database design report and copy the script as text from there.
                                    7.           If you paste a text form of the script, you can use the Script Pretty box in the Known Bugs List database to paste a version that is single spaced and indented for a more professional and easier to read format. (Use the HTML option on the database tab panel and paste the text into the forum's HTML editor.)
                                    1 2 Previous Next