By "sort" you mean you did a Find, right?
When you saved the PDF, you should select fields being browsed.
To start over, you can always click "Show All" records on the toolbar and re-enter your Find.
Perhaps you can upload a screenshot showing more detail if this doesn't help?
Yes. I did mean find.
I'm going to do five posts here so you can see what goes wrong step by step
1. here's the master document. As you can see, there's 952 records.
2. Here I go to search all records under the tag "crime+punishment"
3. The "find" results pull up 73 records
4. I hit "preview," and I can see that the records are being saved one record per page. Here's where it starts to go wrong. In the top left, you can see that the total records in this preview are labeled as "? Total"
5. When I open the pdf I've saved, you can see that it's only 37 pages long. With only one record per page, that means that I have lost almost half of the original 73 records. And I just can't figure out why.
OK, here’s what I did.
1. I created a small project with most of your fields.
2. I added 100 records with 90 of the “Tag” fields having “crime+punishment” and 10 of the Tag fields having “other”.
3. I found some random Latin text for the Text Block.
4. I did a find for “crime+punishment” and FMP found 90 records.
5. I did an export to PDF and it exported … 90 pages.
What I typically do in situations like the one you’re having is to create a simpler project and make sure I can get expected results there. Then, I gradually add on more of the features in the actual project until I figure out what was going on.
See the screenshot below of the page I created.
Hope this helps.
Does that mean I have to redo the entire project? That's like an 8 hour work day...
Is my project really complex enough to cause this type of problem?
No, I was just saying what I do when things don't work as expected. My approach is to try to isolate part of a program that's giving me problems so I can more easily identify the cause (if there are lots of scripts. That approach has actually saved me time over the years. Whether it's a good approach for this situation, or for your use, I can't really say.
So, as far as I know, there isn't any problem with saving records to PDF that I know about and I don't have your FMP Solution to debug.
Others may jump in to give you some other ideas too.
Has nothing to do with complex. We don't have your database to debug as Mork Afur stated.
The ? is normal in preview.
Have you scan all pages to make sure that there is only one record per page?
If you Preview all 952 records do you get 952 pages?
You may need to run recover on your database to verify the file is not damaged.
Ah, looks like I figured it out. It was a printing setting in my layout. I had it in two columns and that, for some reason, removed all of the records with even number tags.
Sorry to give you guys the runaround. Thanks for the help. Still have a lot to learn on this program. I appreciate it!