1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 11, 2010 12:32 PM by philmodjunk

Saving Thumbnail instead of file in container field

jennscott8

Title

Saving Thumbnail instead of file in container field

Hello,

I have been looking everywhere for some information on this process and I haven't been able to find an exact solution to my problem.  I am sure I am searching incorrectly or something - anyway, here goes.

I have a FMP 10 database that I am using as a rights management tool for photographs that my company licenses for products.  I will have at least 50,000 images when the database is complete and it will grow by at least 10,000 a year.  I do not use the database as the asset managemetn tool for the photos, only as the rights management tool so I do not have a need to save a high resolution file in the database.  I only want ot have a reference to the file and then a viewable thumbnail in a container.  The thumbnail can be as small as 2in x 2in.  I would like a solution that does not require me to resize the original image.  I would just like to insert the image and FMP automatically resize it and only save the thumbnail in the container or - even better - save only a reference to where the file lives and show a preview of the file.

Please let me know if you have a solution to this problem.  I really appreciate your time and expertise!

Best

• 1. Re: Saving Thumbnail instead of file in container field
          philmodjunk

When you insert a picture into a container, one of your options is "store by reference". This stores a path to the file where the image is stored. Have you tried that option to see if it works for you?

If you plan to share this database over a netowork or publish it to the web, there are specific details about where you store the original files that you have to pay attention to if you plan to use your database in either of these ways.