1 Reply Latest reply on Sep 16, 2013 12:05 PM by philmodjunk

Scan ID badges and timestamp

LisaDuFur

Title

Scan ID badges and timestamp

Tracking student movement in school. Students come in and out of the library up to 8 times a day. All students have ID badges with barcode/ID on them. I have a database with all the information in it. I want to be able to scan a student barcode on their ID. Find the same ID in my database and place a timestamp in one of 8 date time fields I have created.

This is what the database looks like. I have all the data in it and I do have a scanner that scans the barcode number . I just need it to find the matching barcode number and place a date/time stamp in the field.

I know this is simple your most of you, but I am a novice at scripting. Thanks

Screen_Shot_2013-09-16_at_1.55.49_PM.png

• 1. Re: Scan ID badges and timestamp
          philmodjunk

Instead of nine distinct fields (or a repeating field with 9 repetitions), I recommend that you set up a related table where each time that you scan a barcode, the system can log the barcode scanned and update a "time in" or "time out" field to log the student's entry or exit to/from the LIbrary.

Does your scanner function in Keyboard emulation mode? (If you are hooking up a USB cable to connect it to a computer, answer are nearly 100% that this is the case.)

Can the scanner be configured to put special characters before and after the scanned data from the ID badge? (nearly all can).

If so, you can fully automate the scanning process with script triggers. One trigger tripped by the beginning of the scan can put the cursor in the correct field. A trigger tripped at the end of the scan can then use the data input from the scanner to find the record for that student and log them in or out, creating a new record to log them in or out as needed.

The reason for separate records for each entry/exit pairing is that it then becomes much easier to pull up reports of your library activity as well as a list of how many students are currently in the library.