1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 26, 2011 1:33 PM by Jonna

Scandinavian characters problem

Jonna

Title

Scandinavian characters problem

I receive daily a text file from a server, which I then import into Filemaker to be processed. Before importing into FM, I have to clean the text file with a text processor for two reasons:

1.  the Scandinavian characters are wrong (the text reads: B‰ckstrˆm, when it should be: Bäckström)

2.  the field delimiters are for MS Access (semicolons instead of commas)

I understand the first problem is a Unicode thing, created by the server from which the files come, and the second is because they expect me to use MS Access, which I won't.

I've tried to make Filemaker correct the Scandinavian characters but for some reason it cannot find all the odd characters at once; I have to do it over and over again, which is strange, and not very practical.

To clean the file I open it in MS Word: open in Unicode -> Western (Windows Latin 1). The Scandinavian characters open correctly. Then I replace the semicolons with commas, and save the file: Other Encoding -> Western (Mac OS Roman). Then I import the file into FM.

This is, of course, not how the process should go, but so far I haven't found any other way to do this daily routine. I would appreciate any help to solve these two problems.

Thank you

• 1. Re: Scandinavian characters problem
          Jonna

I solved both problems:

1. For the Scandinavian characters I choose "Windows (ANSI)" as the character set in the FileMaker import-window. The default is "Macintosh".
          2. To change the field delimiters from ";" to "," I use (free) TextWrangler, which can do it to an entire folder, even without opening the files.

I recommend TextWrangler, it's a power tool. And very scriptable, so you can automate processes.

Smile