3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 16, 2010 11:54 AM by philmodjunk

Scanning Barcode into FM PRO 10

mvmedia

Title

Scanning Barcode into FM PRO 10

Win XP

FileMaker PRO 10

Our database is setup to check in students.  When they come in we either enter a student # or scan their IDs (barcode).  This autopopulates all their other info (name, grade, etc)  My scanner is setup to automatically to prepend MVHS to the number, so when I scan I have to erase the MVHS to enter the number. 

Is their a script or calculation I could attach that would "ignore" the MVHS when typed in?

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Scanning Barcode into FM PRO 10
          philmodjunk

Hate to ask the obvious, but why is it set to enter "MVHS" as the "Preamble"?

You can set an auto-enter calculation to delete these four letters or you can set all your references to point to a calculation field that ignores the first 4 letters if they are MVHS.

Both approaches can be made to work.

The auto-entered calculation might look like this:

If ( Left ( Self ; 4 ) = "MVHS" ; Middle ( Self ; 5 ; 999 ) ; Self )

(For older versions of filemaker, put the field's name in place of "self".)

• 2. Re: Scanning Barcode into FM PRO 10
            mvmedia

Hate to ask the obvious, but why is it set to enter "MVHS" as the "Preamble"?

It's our circ system for the library (part of our barcode system) we are just using the same wand.

The auto-entered calculation might look like this:

If ( Left ( Self ; 4 ) = "MVHS" ; Middle ( Self ; 5 ; 999 ) ; Self )

(For older versions of filemaker, put the field's name in place of "self".)  ---- Had to do this, although didn't think version 10 was necessarily old.

Thanks, that worked perfectly!  :smileyhappy:

• 3. Re: Scanning Barcode into FM PRO 10
              philmodjunk

Self should work in version 10. I've used it numerous times in that version.