1 Reply Latest reply on Sep 26, 2014 8:28 AM by philmodjunk

Scheduling Reports

EdnaLewis

Title

Scheduling Reports

I'm teaching myself FileMaker Pro 12 per request of my new Org. I have the database and document layouts already designed. There is a key date on each person's record that needs to be monitored, and at a certain point - 30 days out from the stored date - a form letter (which is one of the layouts already designed) needs to be printed  - or at least the User needs to know to print it manually. Even a list of those people who are 30 days out would be fine. Can I schedule a date-monitoring report to run automatically? Where do I store this report? Is it script? (I know nothing about scripts.) (BTW, this is local to 1 workstation; It will not be running on a server.)

Thank you in advance.  

• 1. Re: Scheduling Reports
          philmodjunk

Your will need to learn how to create scripts as that is what you need if you want this to happen automatically on a schedule. I suggest looking for a tutorial on the subject that can supplement anything posted here in the forum.

The first part of your task is to come up with a script that finds all records meeting the following criteria:

Today's date is 30 days or later than the date stored in the person's record

The form letter has not yet been printed.

The second option can be handled by putting a value in a status field to show that this task has been done. Your find can then find all records meeting the date requirement that also have this field empty.

You might try setting up a manual find to find such records as a first step in getting this to work. Putting a lone = in a field while in browse mode specifies that you want all records where the field is blank. You can subtract 30 days from today's date and put that date into the date field with the < operator to find all records that have a date older than that date.

Then you can try your hand at scripting it. The script would look like similar to this:

#Script must be performed on a layout based on your personnel table.
          Go to layout ["Personnel" (Personnel) ]
          Enter Find Mode [] ---> clear the pause check box.
          Set Field [Personnel::Date30 ; "<" & Get ( CurrentDate ) - 30 ]
          Set Field [Personnel::FormLetterStatus ; "=" ]
          Set Error Capture [on]
          Perform Find []

This script is patterned after the scripted find examples found here: Scripted Find Examples

Note: When Setting up Set Field, there are two Specify buttons that must be clicked. To get Set Field [Table::Field ; Expression], add set field to your script and click the first button (specify target field). Select Table::Field from the list of fields. Do not click the specify button next to the repetition box. Click OK to close this dialog box. Now click the lower specify button (calculated result) and create the expression to the right of the semicolon (;). Do not try to type in the semicolon.

Caulkins Consulting, Home of Adventures In FileMaking