3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 24, 2010 12:46 PM by philmodjunk

SCRAMBLED UP DATES - ANOTHER ADDENDUM

khank

Title

SCRAMBLED UP DATES - ANOTHER ADDENDUM

Sorry for another post (I must be losing it - there isn't any area to respond to any posted answers).  

I attached another file with want came up.  

It feels the particular ID # is locked to the date - I "click" the heading and yes it ascending and descending, but it doesn't adjust to match the correct ID and date.  

But the "evening ID # should be 1 not 1046 next to 10/2/2007 so on and so forth until ID #1121 which is 10/29/2010. 

Because of my ignorance I'm starting to get frustrated over the entire thing. I believe I'm doing what is suggested. 

SORT.jpg

• 1. Re: SCRAMBLED UP DATES - ANOTHER ADDENDUM
          philmodjunk

You can simply scroll to the bottom of this thread and post your response in the "Post a Answer" box.

To sort on more than one field, you have to select Sort Records... from the Records menu. In you example, if you drag evening ID up by clicking and dragging the vertical double headed arrow so that eveningID is listed before date like this:

eveningID
          date

Then you will see the records listed in order by Evening ID. IF you have two records with the same eveningID, the one with the earliest date will be listed above the other.

I'm concerned by this statement you've made: "...but it doesn't adjust to match the correct ID and date."

You have a record with a field name Evening ID and a second field named date. If a given row does not list the date you expect to see next to a given EveningID, then you have either the wrong date entered in the date field or the wrong number entered in the EveningID field and this problem cannot be fixed by sorting your records as the two values are indeed "locked" as they are two fields in the same record.

• 2. Re: SCRAMBLED UP DATES - ANOTHER ADDENDUM
            khank

Again I tried what you suggested with no luck.  

Originally every new record was inserted by "clicking" "new record" - date ID automatically filled in and I just filled in the new date and all other information. 

Per your suggestion: I positioned the respective fields (evening ID and date) in the Sort Order Layout or/and Table window - "Clicked OK" and it still does not return the correct ID and Date match.  Meaning:   ID#1 should be 10/2/2007 not ID#1046.

I go back to the Sort Order window and only the "date" is there the "evening ID" has vanished?????? 

(Can't figure how to insert an image via this "Post a Answer" window.)  But I've notice that the mess up comes at 8/15 - 8/16 - per Example below: 

ID#3         8/13/2010

ID#2         8/14/2010

ID#1         8/15/2010

ID#1047   8/16/2010

ID#1048   8/17/2010

I cannot see where there is a double ID or date everything look fine.

• 3. Re: SCRAMBLED UP DATES - ANOTHER ADDENDUM
              philmodjunk

The issue you are dealing with has nothing to do with sorting the records. IF ID#3 shows 8/13/2010 no amount of sorting will change this as sorts will change the order of the entire row--not the values in a single column.

Something has happened to either change the values in existing records or in the settings that assign values when you create a new record.

First some basic questions to understand the structure and settings of your database:

How is EveningID set up to receive an ID value when you create a new record? (Find it in Manage | Database | Fields, double click it and check its auto-enter settings.)

Do you enter this date or is it entered automatically? If automatically, how is it up set to auto-enter a date?