3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 25, 2014 9:26 AM by sjpockmire

Screen Goes Black When Clicking in Browse Mode

sjpockmire

Title

Screen Goes Black When Clicking in Browse Mode

I'm posting this for anyone who ever encounters their monitor going black when in Filemaker 12 or 13 and using a Mac Mini with Mavericks. I purchased a new Mac Mini in March 2014 running 10.9.2 and hooked it up to an Acer monitor that I used on an old Mac Mini running 10.6. Everything was fine… Word, Excel, Mail, every single program until I opened Filemaker 13.0.3. Whenever I clicked the mouse, the screen would go black. Filemaker Support as well as myself thought the program could be corrupt and perhaps the file. But what was perplexing was that the program and file worked fine with 10.8.5 on my iMac. So I blamed it on Mavericks and the Filemaker program. I downloaded FM 12 and FM 13 again with updates and reinstalled both programs. Again, the screen would black out in both versions even with a Filemaker starter solution file - not just mine. So, I changed my mouse, then keyboard, and last the monitor... low and behold I found it was the monitor. Not one black screen, not one crash, just perfect. The monitor that worked was a Hanns.G JC 199D which ironically would not work with the Mac Mini running 10.6.

• 1. Re: Screen Goes Black When Clicking in Browse Mode
          RickWhitelaw

I find it odd that you've concluded the monitor was at fault when all your other applications worked fine with the original monitor. As well, the relationship is computer to monitor and not application to monitor. If a given machine runs a given application then the machine should display the application and it's files properly. A mystery indeed.

• 2. Re: Screen Goes Black When Clicking in Browse Mode
            sjpockmire

Hi Rick, I sure can't explain it and it was so totally illogical. I did see where some people had problems with Mac Mini monitors going black on occasion but this was not the case. It only went black in Filemaker when I did a mouse click in browser mode. I've used the Mac for 30 years and Filemaker since it was made by Claris. I can tell you, I've never been so thrown over by something that didn't make sense. Perhaps it was the monitor frequency, or VGA cord, who knows. In hindsight, I should have picked up that everything worked fine when accessing Filemaker on the Mac Mini with TeamViewer from another computer.

• 3. Re: Screen Goes Black When Clicking in Browse Mode
              sjpockmire

I called Apple on this issue and got a really great technical support person who has encountered this same issue while gaming on PCs and Macs. Basically, yes it is possible for a screen to go black with mouse clicks, especially with a VGA monitor. This can happen when the software calls for, 1) a change in screen resolution or screen size, 2) a change in refresh rate, 3) a screen adjustment, or 4) the resolution is not within acceptable limits. I'm a happy camper. This was just way too perplexing that even Filemaker Support could not solve. Hope they read this post.