3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 2, 2010 5:09 PM by Steve Wright

Screen resolution

mark_d2x

Title

Screen resolution

What is the best way to get around different screen resolutions?

Here is the problem; I need to use the database for both collecting data and for displaying in a videoconferenced meeting. 

I shall try to explain what happens so that you may be able to advise me best...

At the moment, not all the monitors run at their native resolution of 1280 x 1024. Some, need to run at 1024 x 768 (this may not be the case for too much longer hopefully, but I don't think I will hold my breath).  Also, one colleague in particular cannot use his PC without the resolution being set at 1024 x 768.

I need to decide how i am going to deal with this; I believe there are 2 ways of doing this - using the zoom  and using different layouts.

What would you deal with this?

best wishes

Mark 

• 1. Re: Screen resolution
          Steve Wright
             Or you could design the layouts to fit 1024X768 then use the object resizing features.
          • 2. Re: Screen resolution
            TSGal

Mark_d2x:

Thank you for your post.

The reply from "SW" is excellent (Thank you!).  However, one user had a similar problem and therefore designed two different layouts depending on the screen resolution.  You can capture the screen height and width with the Get (ScreenHeight) and Get (ScreenWidth) functions.  Depending on the value, you can then determine which layout (or set of layouts) you want to display.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 3. Re: Screen resolution
              Steve Wright

I dont know why I didnt mention that myself, since this is actually what I do for our vertical market solution, it can be a fair bit of work if you have lots of layouts, the end result is worth it from my perspective.

I use a combination of 2 layouts, auto resizing and zoom for resolutions such as 800X600 @ 75% 

Most other layouts run at 100% zoom level, unless the user has a resolution over 1920X1200 in which case they can choose 100% or 150%

As such, my solution pretty much supports every resolution, and doesnt look out of place.

Because at this time filemaker doesn't provide relative object auto resizing horizontally (i.e 3 fields horizontally at once)  

The 2nd layout can double as a wide screen view so to speak, static fields can be resized a little more, allowing 1 field to resize and it still look neat and tidy. 

On startup, I check the resolution as mentioned by TSGal and set a global variable with the screen mode such as

$$ScreenMode = 1

$$ScreenMode = 2

Then within scripts and buttons, I use (where applicable)

Go to Layout [ $$screenMode & "-MyLayoutName" ]  using layout name by calculation.