5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 27, 2014 6:16 AM by philmodjunk

Screen Size VS Screen Res ?

MelJackson

Title

Screen Size VS Screen Res ?

I'm trying to understand how it works to create different layouts to accommodate different mobile devices.  I wrote a script to capture the size of my mobile phone then created a layout for those dimensions.  The "Get(ScreenWidth) and height said that it was 640 X 360.  This was WAY too small.  After playing around with the layout it came out to be 980 X 450 PT.  When I turn to the inches on the layout it tells me my phone should be about 13.5 X 6 inches.

I'm a little confused to say the least.  Can anyone speak dummy and tell me how this works? :)

• 1. Re: Screen Size VS Screen Res ?
          philmodjunk

I can suggest an alternative approach:

While in layout mode, pull down the device dimensions drop down in the tool bar. It's the control to the left of the i button for showing the inspector.

You can select one or more options from this list and it overlays your layout with a rectangle showing the screen dimensions for a particular device and orientation. This works OK until you decide to hide the tool bar on the iOS device, then the rectangles are too small by the height of the tool bar.

• 2. Re: Screen Size VS Screen Res ?
            MelJackson

Thanks for the reply PMJ.  I was hoping I could just capture the info of the devices and create layouts from that info but I guess not.  While the device dims drop down is helpful it's a couple of steps short of covering the VAST collection of screen sizes lately.  (not to mention, it completely ignores us Android users, like we're a lower life form :-)

• 3. Re: Screen Size VS Screen Res ?
              philmodjunk

You can't use FileMaker GO with an Android anyway. I have assumed by device that you wanted to customize layouts for specific iOS devices. If you are publishing to the web, you are dealing with a much more complex issue as your client devices will be using a web browser to access the database and then you have differences with each browser to deal with as well as for each device.

• 4. Re: Screen Size VS Screen Res ?
                MelJackson

So what is the best answer for Android users?  They can't run FMGo.  Web is a bad idea.  There are a couple of companies in my area that would love for me to write a mobile solution for them.  But they are not going to change out all of their Android phones for IOS just so they can run my solution.

• 5. Re: Screen Size VS Screen Res ?
                  philmodjunk

A web browser accessing your web published database is your only option at this time.