3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 18, 2013 6:54 AM by philmodjunk

Scrips

lorenamusser

Title

Scrips & Variables

I am reviewing a database that has some extensively long scripts; the current script I am reviewing has 800+ steps.  I am thinking about breaking the script out into smaller script chunks...my issue is that it currently uses a lot of local variables throughout the script.  If I move those variables into smaller scrips that are run within the main script, will they carry across or is there another better approach?

• 1. Re: Scrips & Variables
          schamblee

If it's not broke why fix it.  Local variables with just $ are only available in the current script.  Global variables with $$ are available in other scripts.

• 2. Re: Scrips & Variables
            lorenamusser

The purpose of reviewing the database is to determine if it is better to rebuild or reuse the current database.  We are leaning towards rebuilding for a variety of reasons.  So looking at how to clean up some of the scripts and make them easier to follow for future updates.

• 3. Re: Scrips & Variables
              philmodjunk

You may find it useful to change some variables from $Local to $$Global as S Chamblee suggested. If you break the large script up into smaller scripts you can also pass data to the script being called as a script parameter and there are several ways to combine multiple values into one script parameter.