10 Replies Latest reply on Mar 25, 2013 11:26 AM by philmodjunk

Script Debugger

kayakjunkie

Title

Script Debugger

Not sure if I inadvertently changed a setting somewhere ....

When I open the script debugger the icons at the top to step through / run the script are greyed out.  I have to go to the Script Manager and click on the run script trigger there to run the script, at which point the debugger works as expected.

Any ideas on how to set this right?

Jesse

• 1. Re: Script Debugger
          philmodjunk

You are supposed to open the debugger then run the script that you want to debug, either by tripping a script trigger, clicking a button or by performing it from Manage | Scripts.

Is this what you have done before you get the greyed out buttons?

• 2. Re: Script Debugger
            kayakjunkie

Yep - I'm used to running a script by clicking a button on the script debugger.  However, now when I have a script open, the window active, a line highlighted, etc.  The script debugger's buttons are not active, kind of greyed out.  However, if I run the script from the Script | Manager, the buttons on the Script Debugger become active.

• 3. Re: Script Debugger
              philmodjunk

However, now when I have a script open, the window active, a line highlighted, etc.  The script debugger's buttons are not active, kind of greyed out.

Please list the exact steps you are using that bring you to this point as what you then post:

if I run the script from the Script | Manager, the buttons on the Script Debugger become active.

would be one way to have the script open, the window active, a line highlighted, etc... and yet that's what you are doing to get active buttons....

• 4. Re: Script Debugger
                kayakjunkie

Step 1) Launch Filemaker Pro

Step 2) Open Database File

Step 3) Open Script Manager

Step 4) Open Script

Step 5) Select Tools | Script Debugger, note that buttons at the top of the Script Debugger are not active.

Step 6) Run Script from Script Manager, buttons at the top of the Script Debugger become active.

• 5. Re: Script Debugger
                  kayakjunkie
                  /files/7a8b57099a/Open_Database_File.png 821x609
                  • 6. Re: Script Debugger
                    kayakjunkie
                    /files/8229aac00c/Open_Script_Manager.png 816x793
                    • 7. Re: Script Debugger
                      kayakjunkie
                      /files/f93bde873c/Open_Script.png 1097x771
                      • 8. Re: Script Debugger
                        kayakjunkie
                        /files/5aa7674532/Select_Tools_%7C_Script_Debugger.png 1280x682
                        • 9. Re: Script Debugger
                          kayakjunkie
                          /files/39ad396ad5/Run_Script_from_Script_Manager.png 1280x675
                          • 10. Re: Script Debugger
                            philmodjunk

Opening the script in the script manager does not make it avaialble in the debugger. Just open the debugger window and run your script. You can click a button, trip a script trigger or select it and run it in the script manager window.

Once FileMaker starts to execute the first script step, it pops up in the script manager window. Note that the script you perform may not be the only script that appears in the debugger. If your script contains the Perform Script step or it trips a script trigger when it executes, those additional scripts will appear in the script debugger window, disappearing and returning you to the original script once they have fully executed.