2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 8, 2014 4:11 AM by nifty

Script find for FileMaker 13 pro

nifty

Title

Script find for FileMaker 13 pro

I am trying to write a script in FileMaker Pro 13 but no luck after 8 hours. I have a layout called Publishers. I'd like to copy the field Author::Publisher on that layout, jump to the Contacts layout, and search for the Publisher contact in the Publishers::Name field (which should match Author::Publisher).

I am selecting the contents of the Author::Publisher on entering the search. When the search fails, I do a manual search by pasting into that field. When I paste, I see it has copied EVERYTHING from the Publishers layout.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

• 1. Re: Script find for FileMaker 13 pro
          philmodjunk

Sounds like you should use a relationship to match author records to publisher records, but I wouldn't use names for the matching, I'd use ID values such as auto-entered serial numbers.

When I paste, I see it has copied EVERYTHING from the Publishers layout

That sounds like "copy record" instead of putting the cursor in a field, selecting all data in that field and using Copy to copy the value to your system clipboard.

And such copy/paste actions are not the best approach with scripted finds anyway.

You might find this thread of scripted find examples helpful: Scripted Find Examples

• 2. Re: Script find for FileMaker 13 pro
            nifty

Thanks for the links and info. I solved it though. Guess I need stronger glasses; I was missing a colon between Publishers and Name.