6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 15, 2012 10:55 AM by CarrieB.

Script for opening a specific remote file?

CarrieB.

Title

Script for opening a specific remote file?

Can you create a script that opens a specific remote file? Also, can you create a shortcut or alias that opens a specific remote file? 

Thanks!!

Carrie

• 1. Re: Script for opening a specific remote file?
          philmodjunk

Open File can open remote files. To set it up to open a file hosted on another computer on your network, you click the Remote button just like when you open it from the file menu. For fileMaker files outside your database, you will need to specify the IP address.

If you place a small FileMaker File on your desktop, it can perform a script with open file that opens the remote file each time that you open it. This gives you a small file that you can double click to open the remote file. (And this is not the only way you can set this up either.)

• 2. Re: Script for opening a specific remote file?
            CarrieB.

I was using Open File, but when the user clicks the button to run that script, it doesn't open the file in a remote fashion. It simply opens the file. The user needs to open the file remotely, so they can log in properly. 

I'm trying to remove as many steps as possible for the user. If I use the Open Remote command, they still have to choose which file to open. 

Maybe I am not understanding how to do it properly? 

Thanks!

• 3. Re: Script for opening a specific remote file?
              philmodjunk

"What do you mean by "It doesn't open the file in a remote fashion"? What's the specific difference that you see?

IF file 1 is opened with an account name and password that is the same as an account name and password set up in file 2, Open File will open file 2 with the same account name and password as was used to open file 1--generally, that's a desirable feature as it saves the user from having to log in twice.

• 4. Re: Script for opening a specific remote file?
                CarrieB.

The files are open on the server already. Each user opens the file remotely from their computer. It was my understanding that this is how the file should be opened when multiple users are accessing the file at the same time. ?

So, if I create a file that has an open script to open a remote file, how can I do that, as this would be the first (not second) time the user is logging into the database?

Thanks!

• 5. Re: Script for opening a specific remote file?
                  philmodjunk

It is and Open File will open that file in exactly that fashion. I am talking about using the Open File Script step. Not "Open" from the file menu.

• 6. Re: Script for opening a specific remote file?
                    CarrieB.

I got it. Thank you!!