14 Replies Latest reply on May 7, 2013 10:48 PM by philmodjunk

Script for Regular Back Ups

projay

Title

Script for Regular Back Ups

I am trying to figure out a script for making regular backups let say 3 am everyday without having to exiti and creating a copy myself.

This will be done on a local drive same drive as the file.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

-J

• 1. Re: Script for Regular Back Ups
          philmodjunk

Here's a thread for making a back up copy every 15 minutes during development. It could be adjusted to saving a copy every 24 hours if the file where always left open: Saving Sequential Back Ups During Development

There are also ways to use a OS based scheduling system such as Windows Task manager to open a specific Filemaker File on a regular schedule. if that file where set up to run a script automatically each time it is opened, it could be used to perform a script in your main file that saved a copy of itself as a back up copy.

• 2. Re: Script for Regular Back Ups
            projay

Hey Phil thanks for the link.  I noticed it will only run when table is opened by someone with full access privileges.  

My host is always in a lockdown mode. Is there a way around it to make this scrip work?  

J

• 3. Re: Script for Regular Back Ups
              philmodjunk

Select the "run with full access privileges" check box in the script editor.

• 4. Re: Script for Regular Back Ups
                projay

Great that did the trick. I just had a misunderstanding about that little ck box for full access privilege.  I thought if the box was checked then only those with full access could use that particular script. Learned something new.

Now I got to figure out how to put those backups in another folder.

thanks again Phil.

-J

• 5. Re: Script for Regular Back Ups
                  davemill

This will be done on a local drive same drive as the file.

The weakest link on any computer is the hard drive. Since you have gone to the effort of creating a backup on the disk, what about one across the network? Perhaps hourly or daily? Just a suggestion.
                  • 6. Re: Script for Regular Back Ups
                    projay

Thanks for your response.   What do mean across the network?  A client computer?

• 7. Re: Script for Regular Back Ups
                      davemill

Anywhere, actually, just not on the same disk! I don't know what kind of computers/servers/storage you have on your network. If you back up to the same disk, you are not protected against a hard disk crash.

We have a Drobo FS network attached storage. Our Mac computers back up to the Drobo automatically via TimeMachine. In FileMaker we sometimes back up critical files individually to the Drobo as well. A few years back, I used to automatically back up a critical folder on my Windows laptop to my desktop computer hard disk every time I docked the laptop. These days, you can use Cloud storage very productively as well. For example, save your critical development file to a DropBox folder and it will be archived to the cloud automatically. Free for up to 5GB.

Of course, different backup styles are required depending if you have real-time (transaction) data or just want frequent backups of important files.

• 8. Re: Script for Regular Back Ups
                        projay

That makes good sense.   I do have Drop Box. Great suggestion...I will set up for drop box since this just for frequent back ups.

Thanks.   -J

• 9. Re: Script for Regular Back Ups
                          philmodjunk

The method can be easily modified to save to other locations such as Drop box, a flash drive, other location on network....

• 10. Re: Script for Regular Back Ups
                            RickWhitelaw

Backing up open files is dangerous. I use Time Machine on a network connection. However, I never back up the live files. I have an OnLasWindowClosed script that saves each file to another drive. These files are then backed up over the network. I also use an offsite backup system. There are many and they're not expensive. Mine provides RealTime Protection as well. 150gb for $49.95 CND per year.

• 11. Re: Script for Regular Back Ups
                              projay

A lot of NIce points to think about.  Off site backup any names of reputable companies?

Just wondering, has anybody had issues with saving an open file using the script step "save a copy as"?

-J

• 12. Re: Script for Regular Back Ups
                                davemill

If memory serves (and it often doesn't), that command was in my Filemaker Beta release 0.9 in 1987. Hasn't ever hurt my files that I'm aware of.

The warning about saving an open file may refer to the OS copying a file simultaneously with Filemaker writing the file, but I am speculating about that. Does anyone have actual experience with this? 

• 13. Re: Script for Regular Back Ups
                                  RickWhitelaw

Database files are written to often. Best not  to back up a file when FM is writing to it .

• 14. Re: Script for Regular Back Ups
                                    philmodjunk

True, but you CAN safely backup an open database file with either Save A Copy As... or a FileMaker Server Scheduled Backup. And the resulting closed back up copy produced by either can then be backed up to another location by a backup utility.