5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 8, 2013 10:59 AM by philmodjunk

SCRIPT NOT HOLDING PRINTER SETUP

JessOttman

Title

SCRIPT NOT HOLDING PRINTER SETUP

Hi all,

I have a thermal transfer label printer which i have set up with its own software. By the look of this software it is fairly basic and is similar to a word document setup. With this printer i have a continuous roll of adhesive label tape in 3 sizes.

I work in a company where these labels will be used constantly and not just for basic labelling either. These labels must have id codes, working pressures, date of manufacture etc.

I have three layouts in filemaker pro 11 which the users have to be able to alternate through. This is where i set up my script triggers to change the print settings as it enters each layout. ie if i enter the 1" layout and the printer is set to 25mm x 90mm in the script trigger it should automatically pick up these settings. This however doesnt happen!

When i look at the printer properties through filemaker i have to set  ALL the options again. Once set up they are fine for the rest of the day. One of the biggest problems is that the tape doesnt cut due to the settings not being kept.

I've looked at the software printer settings and changed it here also but still it doesnt keep. I ve also gone throught the startup menu to change the settings there too and to no avail also.

Any ideas or input welcome 

Thank you 

• 1. Re: SCRIPT NOT HOLDING PRINTER SETUP
          philmodjunk

Do your scripts include the printer setup step to specify the settings?

What version of FileMaker on what OS? (Here on our FMP 10, windows system, custom paper sizes are not retained nor are they restored by page setup steps.)

If all else fails, you may want to take a look at the myFMButler plug in for more explict, scripted control of your printer settings than is possible in your version of FileMaker.

• 2. Re: SCRIPT NOT HOLDING PRINTER SETUP
            JessOttman

Yes they include that step for each of them. 

After posting this i noticed that the printer properties in filemaker for this particular printer have an option to name the different instances of setups.

However this still only works if the computer one is at doesnt print anything on any other printer.it is slightly easier as its changed back via a menu bar but still not automatic... We have FMP 11  and on mine i have advanced. We work with windows Xp.

I think il take a look at that plug in and see if that helps

thanks for the input

• 3. Re: SCRIPT NOT HOLDING PRINTER SETUP
              philmodjunk

We see similar issues here with our system. Most users do not print or only print to a single printer 99% of the time so we have managed by training our users to select the desired setting manually in printer setup immediately after logging on and then the other cases where they do print to a different printer, the print script doesn't actually print, instead, it pulls up the needed records, enters preview mode and pauses. The user then manually prints the report via print in the file menu where they then get the needed dialog for selecting printer settings and the preview helps make it obvious when the wrong settings are currently selected. That won't work in every situation, but it's worked for most of our issues.

• 4. Re: SCRIPT NOT HOLDING PRINTER SETUP
                RickWhitelaw

I've said this many times. The only way to really automate printing in FileMaker is at the OS level. On Mac using A Calculated AppleScript that calls a shell script using lp commands. On Windows, though I'm not a user, I suspect it's VB. I've done this for Mac OS, but given the amount of work involved I'd probably advise to use a plugin. For anyone interested the trick is to script printing by TASK I.e. labels, general, cheques, etc. and set up a printing preferences table that assigns certain printers to certain tasks. Then the shell scripting begins . . .

• 5. Re: SCRIPT NOT HOLDING PRINTER SETUP
                  philmodjunk

There's also a plug in that offers enhanced printer control options: MyFmButler.