AnsweredAssumed Answered

script steps to create new record

Question asked by KBGF75 on Aug 10, 2009
Latest reply on Aug 12, 2009 by KBGF75

Title

script steps to create new record

I need help with design of a script to create a new record in another table.

My FMP9 file includes a table of Contacts and a table of Donations.  Donation records are related to the donor‘s Contact record by contactID fields (a Donation record’s contactID_fk will always match the Contact record’s contactID_pk).  A portal in a Contacts layout shows selected fields of related Donations records.

When a new Donations record is created, its contactID_fk field is filled by auto-enter as a calculated value: contactID_fk = Contacts::contactID_pk. This works ok when the new record is created while the user is in the Contacts table: my procedure is just to start entering data in a blank row of the portal.

I would prefer a different procedure. I want to initiate a new Donations record by pressing a button on a Contacts layout. The script step New Record/Request seems an obvious starting point, but first I think I must go to the Donations table.  How to fill the new record’s contactID_fk field probably is trivial, but it has me stumped. Conceptually, I think I should first copy the contactID_pk field of the Contact record, then initiate the new Donations record, then paste the copied value into the new contactID_fk field. What script steps will do this?

-Al

Outcomes