4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 12, 2009 1:30 AM by Ymnig

Script to allow and disallow data entry in a field

Ymnig

Title

Script to allow and disallow data entry in a field

Hi

I am looking for a way of making a script that changes themode of a field from "no entry" to "entry allowed" and vice versa.

I have not found any available script or calculation functions that can provide this mode change.

Please help

Regards

Ymnig

• 1. Re: Script to allow and disallow data entry in a field
          Sorbsbuster

Welcome to the forum, Ynmig,

Not a definite answer, but maybe an idea that might lead there.  I have often had a field that is a calculation, like 'Total Price = Unit Price * Qty Ordered', but sometimes I know I will want to over-ride the 'TotalPrice' calculation with a rounded figure, say, or where the idea of 'Unit Price * Qty Ordered' just isn't appropriate.

In that case I have put another field directly on top of the calculated 'Total Price' field - 'Total PriceOverride' - a simple number field.  I make the calculation field of 'TotalPrice' an 'If' statement:

If ('Total PriceOverride' > 0 ; "" ; Unit Price * Qty Ordered )

It creates the impression that the calculation works normally, but I can 'type into the calculation' and change it.

Can you do a similar thing with the two fields here?  You don't say what the condition is, but can I suppose it is something like, 'RecordLocked = 'Yes' '? 

- You can make the calculation of the true (displayed) field value:

If (RecordLocked = "Yes" ; FieldValue ; FieldValueDataEntry )

- Make the auto-enter calculation for the FieldValueDataEntry:

If ( RecordLocked = "Yes" ; "" ; FieldValueDataEntry )

This works for me that (ie: it gives the appearance of):

- If you enter something in the field it accepts it, unless:

- If the record is marked 'Locked' it rejects it and leaves the original data entered.

HTH,

Alan.

• 2. Re: Script to allow and disallow data entry in a field
            Ymnig

Hi

Thanks for the tip.

It's true that calculation fields also have caused me the problems you describe. 

I will test your proposal.

But the reason for my asking is the definition of a fields functions, where you can tick and untick the box which allows data entry in a field.

It is this "ticking" I would like to manipulate in a script, from a button.

If you have a solution to this, I really appreciate it.

Otherwise I will apply your double field solution and perhaps use the nice functions in zippscript for further manipulation, based on field change.

Regards

Ymnig 

• 3. Re: Script to allow and disallow data entry in a field
              raybaudi

Ymnig wrote:

But the reason for my asking is the definition of a fields functions, where you can tick and untick the box which allows data entry in a field.

It is this "ticking" I would like to manipulate in a script, from a button.

You can't manipulate that "ticking", but you can have a layout with that field unaccessible AND another layout with that field accessible... the script will only change the layout.

• 4. Re: Script to allow and disallow data entry in a field
                Ymnig

Thanks

I have implemented something like that, but I wanted a more straightforward solution.

I guess this is the best way to come around the problem.

Regards

Ymnig