2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 23, 2015 1:38 PM by RickWhitelaw

Script to cancel if FM hangs

Gilo

Title

Script to cancel if FM hangs

Hi

I have a script which backups my DB regularly. But unfortunately, it sometimes hangs, and FM is spinning and nothing is happening. 

Is there a way that FM restarts itself when this happens? In FM or on OS X

• 1. Re: Script to cancel if FM hangs
          FentonJones

First, do you have a backup of that file? I'd go back to that. Because using "Force Quit" FileMaker to stop a running database is not good for it, and may damage the file eventually if you do it often; though scripts are pretty strong; much better than the machine going down while you're changing a Field's calculation, or a Relationship!

As far as stopping a script (like a never ending Loop), I find that Cmd - Period ( i.e., . ) seems to work; a lot better than Cmd - ~, or [esc] ("escape").

• 2. Re: Script to cancel if FM hangs
            RickWhitelaw

If the FileMaker application is hung it won't respond to any commands. If the backup script normally executes properly the problem seems to be the app is frozen. Recently I made some changes and when my closer script would run, it hung on a step it couldn't evaluate. My fault. However command/period wouldn't stop the script. Even the debugger hung. The only solution was to force quit. Hosted file so less risky, but still no fun.