AnsweredAssumed Answered

Script to limit found set to two or more criteria from current record

Question asked by BobBrown on Jul 6, 2010
Latest reply on Jul 7, 2010 by philmodjunk

Title

Script to limit found set to two or more criteria from current record

I am using File Maker Pro 10 to store notes about research done on the Bible.  A single table is used to store the notes.  One field ("Book No" - a number field) uses a drop down list to select the proper book and stores the book number (1 through 66).  Another field ("Note Type" - a text field) stores one of the following words:

Portion, Section, Part, Paragraph, Sentence, Phrase or Word

Each of these words represents a hierarchical level siimilar to an outline, a book may have many portions, a portion may have many sections, etc.

My goal is to limit all records in the table to those that match a particular book number and one or more entries in the Note Type field.  Here's an example:

Show all records where Book No = Book No on the current record, and

Constrain that found set to those where Note Type = "Portion" or "Section

I don't want to hard code the book number since it will change frequently.  The Note Type text will be hard coded since I will have a button for each level of the hierarchy.

My plan is to have a series of buttons labeled with the words shown above that will allow the user to collapse or expand the found set in the same way a word processor can do that with an outline.

This is my first database in File Maker.  However, I'm comfortable with Microsoft Access and VBA.

Thanks,

Bob

Outcomes