4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 26, 2009 5:00 PM by ninja

Script to make PDF

sweetcuda

Title

Script to make PDF

Why creating a script to make a PDF and you want to specify output file, is it possible to have it create the title of the output file from fields in your database?

I have a receipt that I want to generate a PDF for, and I want its title to be from the fields, purchaser, Charge code, vendor and amount. So the file would be saved as something like

filewin:/Y:/Requisition forms/Receipts In process/Jason,008,walmart $20.00.pdf

is this do able. Right now it is doing the save file as

filewin:/Y:/Requisition forms/Receipts In process/Untitled.pdf

But when I am processing multiple files this wont work because it will save over the top of them.

• 1. Re: Script to make PDF
          hiatts

absolutely...

all you need to do have a script start on a layout that lists each unique record you want to print...

use a structure like

goto first record

loop

goto related record (using a layout specifically for printing an invoice)

set variable to a unique file identifier such as invoicenumber 

save as pdf and set filename to previous variable

goto original layout

goto next record (exit after last)

exit loop 

• 2. Re: Script to make PDF
            sweetcuda

I am a little confused. (New to the database and filemaker). Here is what I have

I have a layout setup specifically for generating the PDF,

I have a button that I have setup up to run a script, the script under script manager is like this:

Go to layout

Save records as PDF[restore; current record]

Go to layout

Exit script

This script runs it brings up the save dialog box. How would I write the script to automatically enter informaiton from 3 or 4 of the fields on the PDF layout into the save as dialog box and save.

Thank you

• 3. Re: Script to make PDF
              mwc_1

Look at this thread, may help you out.

Emailing out schedules to individual people - help!

• 4. Re: Script to make PDF
                ninja

Howdy sweetcuda,

mwc hit the nail on the head...I'm only chiming in because you mentioned in a previous post that you are a beginner at understanding writing scripts.

In the script that mwc references, it looks like you'll need only part of it.  The concept is right on, though: (# means side comment, not a functional part of the script)

# you need to trap your filename and pathname into variables

Set Variable [ $Field1ofDesiredFileName ; Field1 ] 

Set Variable [ $Field2ofDesiredFileName ; Field2 ]

Set Variable [ $Field3ofDesiredFileName ; Field3 ] 

# trap your filepath into a variable too and add the composite filename(have a global field with your filepath)

# the field "FilepathforPC" would be the path you're currently using

Set Variable [$TargetFile ; FilepathforPC & $Field1ofDesiredFileName & $Field2ofDesiredFileName & $Field3ofDesiredFileName ]

# then save your record by naming it using the variables from above

# if you want to do multiple records at once, make sure you have only the records you want to pdf in your found set and replace "Current Record" with "Records being Browsed"

Save Record as PDF [ No dialog ; "$TargetFile" , Current record ]

How does this work for you?