9 Replies Latest reply on Mar 4, 2013 11:16 AM by philmodjunk

Script Trigger for Barcode Scanner

YeeWaiSeng

Title

Script Trigger for Barcode Scanner

Dear all,

I am new to scripting on filemaker pro advance 12. Im having a very basic FMP database with me. I created a few fields in the database with imported data from an excel file. One of the field is Confimation Number, which is a unique number for each person. I would like to have Confirmation Number field always ready in Find mode, once after a barcode being scanned it automatic perfom find and check on a checkbox and timestamp. If same record being scanned, will trigger error without checking on the checkbox and timestamp. 

I tried it work with onobject save with host, but client did not work. Host on Mac Mini, and shared to client on Window. Need advice and guidience from the Pro user here. 

Thanks

• 1. Re: Script Trigger for Barcode Scanner
          philmodjunk

Here's a thread on barcode scanners and script to automate them: Need help writing script to integrate barcode scanning

Here's a thread with numerous examples on how to set up a scripted find that works from find criteria entered into a global field: Scripted Find Examples

• 2. Re: Script Trigger for Barcode Scanner
            YeeWaiSeng

Hi PhilModJunk,

Appreciate for your reply. Is the OnLayoutKeystroke enable for client that sharing from a Host via Instant Web Publishing?

Jeffrey Yee

• 3. Re: Script Trigger for Barcode Scanner
              philmodjunk

Script Triggers cannot be directly tripped from user interactions with the database when using a web browser to access it. So this does not work from a web client.

• 4. Re: Script Trigger for Barcode Scanner
                YeeWaiSeng

Hi PhiModJunk,

Thanks for your reply. Now im understand that Script Trigger does not work from a web client. And at last i decided to use Remote Open from Host. But now i would like to let you know my situation and get advice from you as per below. 

http://forums.filemaker.com/posts/000f411a53

I certainly understand on your reply and it seem to be able to apply on my question with a little bit modify with the script. But still need your guidance.

Here is my situation. I had an excel database of 100 person details. With some column that name of Confirmation Code ( Unique # ), Full Name, Date & Time Stamp, Check Box. I created a layout in Filemaker Pro Advanced 12 with these 4 column and imported the database into filemaker pro. Now i wish FM to run a script that Confirmation Code always in ready find mode for a Barcode to be scan. Those barcode to be scan are Confirmation Code. Whenever a Barcode being scanned in find mode, FM automatically will perform find, Date and Time Stamp, Check Box and Save records. And then back to find mode and ready for another barcode to be scanned and the rest of the step. If same Barcode being scanned before, FM will promp and error by saying " Duplicate Check ". And back to Find Mode.

Possible to have all field not able to edit by a User? If is not, any other possibility?

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Things that im not understand on your reply in the link above is. How can i set a field that content of " Set Field [YourTable::DataField ; YourTable::ScannedData ]---> ScannedData must have global storage speciifed or this script won't work ". If the file is global storage, it will use one value for entire record. But my Barcode content of Unique Confirmation Code. Please advice, and many appreciate on your help sir. 

• 5. Re: Script Trigger for Barcode Scanner
                  philmodjunk

There seems to be something missing from your description of what you want to see happen when a barcode is scanned. You describe finding the record but do not describe what should happen after that record is found.

How can i set a field that content of " Set Field [YourTable::DataField ; YourTable::ScannedData ]---> ScannedData must have global storage speciifed or this script won't work ". If the file is global storage, it will use one value for entire record. But my Barcode content of Unique Confirmation Code.

You would not store your confirmation numbers in the global field. Only the scannedData field needs the global storage designation. Rewriting the above script step to use your field name:

Set Field [YourTable::ConfrimationNumber ; YourTable::GlobalScannedData ]

• 6. Re: Script Trigger for Barcode Scanner
                    YeeWaiSeng

Basiccaly im using FM as a event registration system. Participants pre-register before the event, and a Confirmation Code ( Barcode ) will be generate to them after payment done online. During the event, participants will show the Confirmation Code to the registration counter for register. And the staff will scan their code and find their database in FM. Once the Barcode scanned and record found in FM. FM will check on the Checkbox, Date & Time Stamp, and Save record.

If there is someone try to duplicate the code and scanned and found it is registered, FM will prompt a message of " You are Registered on ' Date & Time Stamp' ". 

Is that the right way to do that?

• 7. Re: Script Trigger for Barcode Scanner
                      philmodjunk

It's not fully clear to me what  you mean by this:

FM will check on the Checkbox, Date & Time Stamp, and Save record.

Clearly, some sort of "processing" is needed after the record is found, maybe with some user input, maybe not. The exact details will depend on the design of your database as well as what you need to have done at that point. Please note that you have not yet described the design of the tables and any relevant relationships involved. Your script may not even need to perform a find as with the right relationship linking the globalScannedData field to the ConfirmationNumber field, your script can check for the existance of a matching record via the relationship and can use Go To Related Records to pull it up on the screen.

With either method, what happens next is up to you.

• 8. Re: Script Trigger for Barcode Scanner
                        YeeWaiSeng

Hi Sir,

May i share my FM file to you, so that you will have a better idea what im looking at?

• 9. Re: Script Trigger for Barcode Scanner
                          philmodjunk

Or perhaps you could explain what is meant by the statement that I quoted in my last post? Give a simple example in plain English as to what you need to have take place at that point in the process.