2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 9, 2014 10:24 AM by deathrobot

Script Trigger validation

deathrobot

Title

Script Trigger validation

Hi. Having trouble with the following. In one table I have a field that has its validation set to require a unique value. I use a custom dialog plugin and would like to have this show instead of Filemaker's default in the event of a duplicate value. I am trying to call a script that is:

Set Error Capture [On]
           If [Get ( LastError ) <> 0]
                Show Custom Dialog
           End If

I need to trigger this from a script trigger. I have tried every one, and in every case FM's default validation dialog shows before this script is run. Is there a way to do this using FM's validation? Or does it require turning that off and creating a scripted validation?

Thanks!

Michael

• 1. Re: Script Trigger validation
          philmodjunk

Get ( LastError ) only references the error code returned by the immediately preceding script step. (Better error handling is one of the items I requested very recently, see: http://forums.filemaker.com/posts/56b3613440 )

Since the preceding script step is Set Error Capture [on] and it does not generate an error, Get ( LastError ) is always returning a zero.

Get ( LastError ) also only returns error codes from script steps, not invalid data in a field.

So it would appear that you need to use a different expression than Get ( LastError )  in order to get the results that you need.

If you have a unique values validation set on the field where you are checking for unique values, you might try this code:

Commit Records [No dialog]
               If [Get ( LastError) > 0 ]

• 2. Re: Script Trigger validation
            deathrobot

Thanks for the solution and the explanation, Phil. That solved it.

Michael