1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 24, 2010 1:57 PM by ralvy

Script Triggers

Gasser

Title

Script Triggers

Hi, I have just upgraded to FMP 10 in hopes that it will help me quickly solve an analytical problem
      I have with my business.  I produce and market hand saws.  I have the usual five principal Input costs,
      those of the raw materials - steel and wood (pine), the working of these materials, their packaging, their
      distribution, and finally the product's promotion. The final wholesale or Internet sales price (Output) is
      the sum of these costs and a profit, a constant I feel I must maintain.

Therefore, if the cost of any of the five Inputs increases, I will have to decrease the costs of the other Inputs proportionally, or as I wish. I have been making these calculations manually, but I would like this to happen automatically. Thus, when I make changes in one of the Input values, the other Input values will change correspondingly, so that the resultant sum of the five Inputs will always equal the same unchanged Output value.

The five Inputs are related, but I have yet to find an "operator" which would change their values as described above. From the literature I have seen, the script trigger OnObjectModifer in FMP 10 appears to be the key function, but I have no idea how to use it, which steps I should take.
         Could anyone help me? Many thanks, Gasser

• 1. Re: Script Triggers
          ralvy

You wouldn't use OnObjectModify, because that would trigger the associated script trigger with each keystroke in that field. Rather, you would use OnObjectSave. This way, when the user saves a new value in that field, it will trigger the script trigger assigned to that field for OnObjectSave. This triggers the script trigger before the record is saved; rather it triggers it after the field is saved.