2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 7, 2014 10:15 AM by philmodjunk

Script/Application unresponsive

ryanserra

Title

Script/Application unresponsive

I am running what I would consider an extremely simple script and Filemaker is failing every time.  There are 8k records that the script is looping through.  On each iteration, the record is exported to an xml file and two strings are inserted into the fields of another record.  This process fails every time at around 2,600 records processed.  It's not failing on a specific record either... different every time.  There are no error messages reported and even the script debugger fails to respond at this point.

I have changed each filemaker function call that I thought could be the problem (list, filterlist, insert text, etc...).  None of these changes have effected the outcome.

Can a filemaker field not handle a list greater than 2.6k?  In the documentation it says a text field can hold approximately 1 billion characters and I'm not even in the same realm of that amount of data.

Is there a buffer/cache that I need to clear?

I am at my wit's end with this problem.

** I am looking for a simple way to post these scripts from filemaker.  Any suggestions?

• 1. Re: Script/Application unresponsive
          ryanserra

** Update

If I exit filemaker and restart the script where it left off, it continues processing.  This is not a solution I can work with though.  The memory footprint of filemaker is only around 240mb when it halts on a machine with 16gb.  I have completely run out of ideas.

• 2. Re: Script/Application unresponsive
            philmodjunk

I am looking for a simple way to post these scripts from filemaker.

To post a script to the forum:

1. You can upload a screen shot of your script by using the Upload an Image controls located just below Post a New Answer.
            3. You can print a script to a PDF, open the PDF and then select and copy the script as text from the opened PDF to your clipboard for pasting here. (with this approach, you can get multiple script steps on the same line, please edit the pasted text by inserting some returns to separate those steps.)
            5. If You have FileMaker Advanced, you can generate a database design report and copy the script as text from there.
            7. If you paste a text form of the script, you can use the Script Pretty box in the Known Bugs List database to paste a version that is single spaced and indented for a more professional and easier to read format.