6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 12, 2009 1:36 AM by Tectic

Scripted actions only work occassionally when using IWP

Tectic

Title

Scripted actions only work occassionally when using IWP

I'm busy constructing a custom CRM package for a client in FMP 10 and started with the Customer Management template provided. 

Frustratingly the basic 'Add a Note' script provided has only worked rarely and spasmodically when viewing in a web client.  I have searched the forum and found that sometimes pop-up blocking and cookies are mentioned when referring to non-working scripts but have tried sessions with the following clients: WinXP - IE7 & Firefox 3 and Mac - Safari 3.2.3 and Firefox 3.0.10 with all such settings truned off and the problem still persists - in fact I have been unable to add a note since this morning!  [I have even created a brand new database with the pure template - no tweaks! - and the same problem occurs.] I can edit already existing notes but am unable to add new ones through an IWP client session, I have checked I have ascribed full access priviledges!

Can any body help - I appreciate it's probably a lack of knowledge/understanding on my part but it's very frustrating and I have a client who wants a functioning solution soonest!

• 1. Re: Scripted actions only work occassionally when using IWP
          TSGal

Tectic:

Thank you for your post.

I am assuming you mean "Contact Management" template rather than "Customer Management" template.  However, as I look through the scripts, I do not see a "Add a Note" script.

In any case, I turned on Instant Web Publishing, accessed the file from both a Windows (Firefox) and Mac (Safari) and I'm able to enter information into the "Notes" field.

Any additional information you can provide that will help me duplicate the problem would be appreciated.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Scripted actions only work occassionally when using IWP
            Tectic

TSGal

Many thanks for you help.  I have made some progress but discovered another problem! 

The "Add a Note:" function button is on the 'Notes' tab on the lower portion of the displayed screen, it calls the script: Contact Management > Action > Add a Note

Upon inspecting that script I noted that there was an instruction - the second line of the script: "Freeze Window" that is/was incompatible with Web Publishing, when I deleted it my functionality returned(!) - question, what is/was the purpose of that instruction?

The fact that initially upon my setting up IWP with the database the 'Add a Note' capability worked but that it then ceased working is what I find most confusing - any ideas?

The 'new' problem? - I cannot get the "Swap Address" button to work via IWP, inspecting the script shows no incompatibilities so I'm now very confused! :smileysurprised:

(If you care to look at this database I've sent you a PM with the access details.)

Tectic

• 3. Re: Scripted actions only work occassionally when using IWP
              TSGal

Tectic:

The URL you sent privately does not work.

I just hosted my own "Contact Management" file, and the button to "Swap with Second Address" works fine in Instant Web Publishing using Firefox.  Should I try it with another browser?

Try doing this locally.  That is, launch a browser on the same machine where the file is open, and see if the button now works.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 4. Re: Scripted actions only work occassionally when using IWP
                Tectic

Oops!

See new PM!

I have done as you suggested - accessing the database via it's local IP address: 192.168.1.20:81 - and still get the same problem.  Um!

Tectic

• 5. Re: Scripted actions only work occassionally when using IWP
                  TSGal

Tectic:

Thank you.  I noticed I could not duplicate the problem, but then I could.  As it turns out, if put your mouse over the lower part of the "Swap Addresses" button, the cursor changes to a hand pointer.  I then realized that the graphic is not grouped, and only one part has the button attached.  Therefore, do the following:

1. Go into Layout Mode.

2. Click on "Swap Addresses", pull down the Arrange menu and select "Send to Back".  You will now see only a blue rectangle.

3. Click on the blue rectangle, pull down the Format menu and select "Button Setup..."

4. Change the option to the first item "Do Nothing" and click "OK".

5. Pull down the Arrange menu and select "Send to Back".  You will now see "Swap Addresses" reappear.

6. Hold down the Shift key and click on "Swap Addresses".  You will now have the blue rectangle and Swap Addresses selected.

7. Pull down the Arrange menu and select "Group".

8. Pull down the Format menu and select "Button Setup..."

9. Select "Perform Script" and select the script "Swap Main and Second Addresses".  Click OK.

Your button will now work properly in Instant Web Publishing.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 6. Re: Scripted actions only work occassionally when using IWP
                    Tectic
                       Yes!

Magic!  Many thanks - it's the learning curve you know, a simple, logical and elegant 'fix' and something that, whilst I could have eventually thought of it, because of your assistance has actually become an immediate aid and will make my FMP 'career' much better!

Tectic