1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 11, 2009 10:09 AM by philmodjunk

Scripting a specific field

Amber3M

Title

Scripting a specific field

Hi,

I have 4 field all in a row with different suppliers product numbers in them.

I want to create a script that when a person clicks on one of hte fields a new window opens with the material description/pricing/availablity etc of that product.

My problem is, that i do not know how to script something that relates to whatever field you click on.

Is this possible?

Thank you for any help!

• 1. Re: Scripting a specific field
          philmodjunk

I have no real picture of how you've set up your database and thus could be off base here, but:

"I have 4 field all in a row with different suppliers product numbers in them."

Suggests that you may want to re-design your database to use a portal and a related table of this data instead of dedicated fields. That approach is more flexible in many ways.

Answering your specific question can only be done in general terms:

New Window is the script step that can be used to open a new window and display data such as you describe. In Mac, this is easy. In Windows you have to add a few steps to handle some pretty awful window size changes.

General script outline

Set Variable[$Data; YourTable::YourClickedField]

New Window [Specify parameters here to size and locate your window]

#Add Move/Resize window step here on windows platforms to set parent window to maximum possible dimensions

Freeze Window

Go To Layout [Select layout you'll use to display data]

Enter Find Mode[]

Set Field[YourOtherTable::YourDataField; $Data]

Set Error Capture [on]

Perform Find[]

Pause/Resume Script

Close Window

# if windows OS, Adjust Window[Maximize] here to pop your parent window back out to full size