6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 2, 2011 11:38 AM by Sorbsbuster

Scripting- using "go to layout" and hilite questions.

keycoachjohn

Title

Scripting- using "go to layout" and hilite questions.

Hello,

In FM Pro 10, there is a pull down menu nestled in a scripting option for GO TO LAYOUT where one specifiies the target layout.  Several selections are in the "SPECIFY" field, the last one being "Sizing Utility".  Will someone kindly expound on what the Sizing Utility does?  Presumably it matches window size but I cannot locate any discussion on it. 

Also, in several of the pre-packaged FM starter solutions there is a global container field for Hilite objects that ultimately get called for in sorting selections, often on reports...are these located in a built-in library somewhere and if so, where?  Thanks,

• 1. Re: Scripting- using "go to layout" and hilite questions.
          Sorbsbuster

Is 'Sizing Utility' not one of the layouts in your file?  When you click the 'Specify...' button it will offer you the list of layouts to navigate to.

The Hilite Objects, I'm guessing, are container fields that hold various colours, as pasted there by the user.  They could be, say, red orange and green to highlight when something has got to a certain stage.  They are possibly on a Preferences layout.  On the layout where the highlight would be shown there is probably another container field of highlighted colour, set to be the red, orange, or green dependent upon a calculation.

• 2. Re: Scripting- using "go to layout" and hilite questions.
            keycoachjohn

Appreciate the response.

The Sizing Utility is a default line item under "SPECIFY" pull down within the SCRIPT menu; it is there along with go to Layout "by Layout Number" etc.   To see what I'm referreing to, please open Script Manager, select GO TO LAYOUT and in the lower right look at options for SPECIFY.

Your guess to question two would make sense.  However, within these starter solutions provided by FM I haven't managed to find an available source container.  There is no generic bucket of icons- which made me think it's part of the program default library; problem is when I duplicate the steps in a fresh DB, they're not there.

• 3. Re: Scripting- using "go to layout" and hilite questions.
              philmodjunk

What version of FileMaker are you using?

I've used many different versions and there's no such item listed with Go To Layout | Specify.

Best guess, as Sorbsbuster has suggested is that you have a layout with that name.

• 4. Re: Scripting- using "go to layout" and hilite questions.
                Sorbsbuster

Which FM starter solution are you referring to for the 'Sizing Utility' and the Hilite feature?

• 5. Re: Scripting- using "go to layout" and hilite questions.
                  keycoachjohn

Firstly, Sorbsbuster and Phil are right in that it was a layout- hidden, but very much there.  I should have seen that!  Sorry.

FM 10.3, the starter template is under Business General-"ToDo."  have seen hilite used in others too.  J

• 6. Re: Scripting- using "go to layout" and hilite questions.
                    Sorbsbuster

If you go into Layout Mode you will see that the Sizing Utility is the last layout.  If you File|Manage | Datbase... you will see that the global fields g_HiliteLibrary and g_HiliteLibrary2 are there.  They have 6 repetitions.  They do not appear on a layout because the user never needs to interact with them.  They are referred to in calculation fields, for example in the field:

HilitePriority = Case ( g_SortBy = "Priority1" ; g_HiliteLibrary[1]; g_SortBy = "Priority2" ; g_HiliteLibrary[2] ;g_HiliteLibrary[3])

If you want to use the feature just copy the fields, calulations, and the way they are used on layouts.  If you want to copy the symbols they use you just copy and paste them from their file to yours.  (That's the easiest way.)