8 Replies Latest reply on Sep 24, 2014 1:01 PM by philmodjunk

Scroll a field without Focus

TimCranwill

Title

Scroll a field without Focus

Is it possible to have a field scrollable without focusing the field? Im trying to avoid having the iphone keyboard popup when I just want to read the contents of a field.

thanks

• 1. Re: Scroll a field without Focus
          philmodjunk

Frustrating isn't it?

My solution has been to use a popover. You can put a non accessible (clear Browse check box in the Inspector) copy of the field into the popover's frame and size the popover and field to be much larger than the iPhone screen. (But I am careful to keep the width to be less than or equal to my screen width.) When you open this popover, you can use your finger to scroll the contents of the popover up and down.

• 2. Re: Scroll a field without Focus
            TimCranwill

That's a great workaround, one question. I've got the invisible popup button over-top the field so when someone presses it pops up, but how did you make the field inside the popover scrollable?

• 3. Re: Scroll a field without Focus
              philmodjunk

I didn't have to do anything but make the popover frame and the field within it much taller than my iOS device screen. Then it becomes automatically scrollable. (Note, if you make the frame and field wider than the screen, you can scroll horizontally, but this, to me, is usually not desirable.)

If you download the Known Bugs List database and open it with an iPhone, you should see a working example on the initial layout that opens when you open the file.

• 4. Re: Scroll a field without Focus
                philmodjunk

Oh yeah, forgot to mention that I selected all four auto-size anchors for both frame and field....

• 5. Re: Scroll a field without Focus
                  TimCranwill

hmmm, not sure what im missing here, I made the popover window huge and the field inside huge, turned all anchors on but it doesn't scroll, just cuts it off.

• 6. Re: Scroll a field without Focus
                    philmodjunk

Did you drag your finger over the popover after opening it? (set up the field so that it cannot be entered--using either a merge field or  field with Browse mode access blocked.)

Did you compare your layout design to the intial layout you get in the Known Bugs List when you open it with an iPhone?

• 7. Re: Scroll a field without Focus
                      TimCranwill

The only difference i can see from the known bugs list is that the field that scrolls is much larger than mine, does the field on the layout have to also be huge? or just the field and window in the popup? If the field itself needs to be huge then this is not going to work for me.

• 8. Re: Scroll a field without Focus
                        philmodjunk

The field just needs to fill the popover panel and be large enough, when viewed in layout mode, to show the entire contents of the field. In Browse mode, the panel shrinks down to the limits of the iOS device screen, but you can then scroll the popover contents up and down to see all that is contained within it.

That, by the way, is its key limitation. If it's not sized large enough when in layout mode, it can't be used to see all of the text in the field. I have another solution where I use this method and I've had to repeatedly go into layout mode and size the field and enclosing popover larger when users unexpectedly entered more data than I expected them to enter. (And then I found a way to break up the text they were entering and use a slider within the popover to horizontally "swipe" though the text a portion at a time...)