3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 15, 2014 8:11 AM by philmodjunk

Scroll bar on a field?

tays01s

Title

Scroll bar on a field?

I'd like to list names on a layout for the table from which the 'names' field is derived. To save space I don't want to have a huge field so ideally I'd like a scroll bar with a checkbox field or to use buttons giving the same effect. Is it possible to get a scroll bar under these conditions?

• 1. Re: Scroll bar on a field?
          philmodjunk

Can you explain what you are trying to do with this list? Is this for selecting the name you want to enter into a field? You can put a scroll bar on a field that is formatted as an edit box but not one formatted with checkboxes. But there are a number of ways to set up a portal with a scroll bar for listing values with buttons and those buttons can look and act like check boxes or radio buttons.

This is a topic covered in the free download: Adventures In FileMaking #2 - Enhanced Value Selection.

But note that I am making assumptions about how you will use this that may not be accurate.

• 2. Re: Scroll bar on a field?
            tays01s

Where in the file do I find: 'Enhanced Value Selection.'?

The list will be a 'toggle' to select/deselect names with a 0 or 1 value so that their associated values are zeroed or counted.

• 3. Re: Scroll bar on a field?
              philmodjunk

Enhanced Value Selection is the subject of the entire file. (Adventures in FileMaking #1 covers a a different topic--conditional value lists.)

Each large button in the button bar except Intro and Additional Resources takes you to an "exploration layout" for a different enhanced value selection technique. Click the button named "Check Boxes with Scroll Bars" to find the Exploration layout that I was recommending in my previous post.