5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 26, 2012 1:24 PM by philmodjunk

scrollable screen and/or collapsable data within a tab?

jfalberg

Title

scrollable screen and/or collapsable data within a tab?

within a tab, is it possible to have a frame where I can have a layout or a series of calculated fields on it to collapse together and scroll down as necessary.  I also only want to enable the tab if there's associated data with it as well.

• 1. Re: scrollable screen and/or collapsable data within a tab?
          philmodjunk

Sounds like something you can set up with a related table and a portal to it. That sets up a scroll bar for scrolling through the data.

If this is not for data entry--only viewing, you might also be able to set up a calculation field that combines the data from each of these fields with returns and tab characters to arrange them in a useful layout structure. You can use the appearance tab to set tab stops to arrange your data into columns. If you have FileMaker 12, this can be a very useful way to display the results of the Execute SQL function. Specify text as the return type for this field and give it a scroll bar and once again you have something you can scroll through to view all the data when it becomes more than will fit on the tab panel.

I also only want to enable the tab if there's associated data with it as well.

That can be done with scripting and script triggers. The details will be very different in how you script that depending on whether you are using FileMaker 12 or an older version as FileMaker 12 introduces triggers and get functions that make this type of thing much simpler to do.

• 2. Re: scrollable screen and/or collapsable data within a tab?
            jfalberg

Yes this is only for viewing, and would desireably want to have a right scroller within a tab to see more content that I cannot all fit in the viewing portion.

I am also using other tabs and realize in most all cases there should be data in this tab since the relation data is 1 to 1.  Now here's something that I'm going to illustrate rather than trying to explain.

Table answer has a one-to-one relation with Table CFQCase where answer::MessageNumber = CFQCase::MessageNumber

I also have 4 other tables that each do have an associated MessageNumber field along with a secondary index field since otherwise I was importing array information.  While it sounds easy just to refer to where index field = 0 or the first index record, but one table in particular called CFQPerson may have a code that indicates "Subject" while that may not be the first record in that field.  I want CFQPerson to display the "Subject" content into a header section I intend to incorporate in my tab so I'm wondering if I need to add some calculation fields in my CFQCase table for this purpose or at least freeze my tab, do the find in the CFQPerson layout, then go back to my tab object and unfreeze.

Hopefully this is making sense, please let me know otherwise and any recommendation.

• 3. Re: scrollable screen and/or collapsable data within a tab?
              philmodjunk

Is this the relationship?

CFQCase::MessageNumber = CFQPerson::MessageNumber

What version of FileMaker do you have?

If you have FileMaker 11 or newer, you can use a filtered portal to CFQPerson and specify "Subject" as the value in the related record's code(?) field.

• 4. Re: scrollable screen and/or collapsable data within a tab?
                jfalberg

Yes CFQCase::MessageNumber = CFQPerson::MessageNumber as a 1 to many since CFQPerson can have multiple records but there can only be one record within same MessageNumber that indicates a code of "Subject" at least.

We are still using FileMaker 11 at this time.

• 5. Re: scrollable screen and/or collapsable data within a tab?
                  philmodjunk

Then the filtered portal will work for this. It can be a one line portal since this will show only one record.