4 Replies Latest reply on May 27, 2011 5:30 AM by RickS_1

Search and Reference Function

RickS_1

Title

Search and Reference Function

Hello! I'm new to FileMaker and I'm trying to determine whether this platform is suitable for a language learning project that I'm working on. I thought I'd check with some of the experts on the forum to see whether the following scenario is possible.

I'd like to have two databases within the same FileMaker Pro file that will interact with one another.

- The first database would involved entering English language text (news, stories, passages, etc...) into text fields. This would be the main or base database.

- The second database would be more of a reference database... for words and their corresponding definitions. Basically a dictionary.

What I would like to do is have a search function (script?) on the English language text entry page where FileMaker would search the words in the text fields and determine whether any of them match a word in my dictionary database. If there was a match of words, the application might then (a) create a link on the word in question in the English language text entry field to the definition or (b) have a field next to the English language text field showing the matching word definitions from the dictionary database. My preference would be to have this search and compare functionality without changing screens/windows.

I hope this makes sense. I'm sorry if it sounds confusing.

Any thoughts?