10 Replies Latest reply on Mar 6, 2013 10:15 AM by philmodjunk

Search box lag

EP

Title

Search box lag

I have a global field that allows users to type in search criteria.  This searches a portal just below the global field using a cartesian relationship and filtering: IsEmpty ( OfficeCases::gSearchField2) or PatternCount ( Contacts::Contact Name ; OfficeCases::gSearchField2).  This works perfectly on my Mac.  The problem I am having is that a windows user apporached me today to inform me that something was wrong with the solution; apparently, whena windows user types into the search box, there is a terrible lag, and when a portal record is clicked on, the pop up window shows up blank until the record loads.....and FMP freezes for a few seconds.  I thought it was a server issue, so I pulled the file down and experienced the same exact symptoms locally on a different window computer.  To satisfy my curiousity, I tried the same file on a mac and there is absolutely no problem.  I have about 4 of these search fields throughout the database, and this is the only one that gives trouble.  Any ideas?

Thanks

Screenshot_3_5_13_6_01_PM-8.jpg

• 1. Re: Search box lag
          philmodjunk

On what relationship have you based this portal?

What method are you using to get the portal to refresh after each keystroke?

If you are using Refresh Window [flush cached join results], don't use that method.

This may be completely separate from the script that opens the window. What method do you use to pop open that window and display a record?

My demo file was developed in windows and does not show this lag, but I haven't tested it extensively in FMP 12--so we may have an undiscovered issue with this method here. My demo file no longer uses Refresh Window[flush.. to update the portal but the original version does.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0pm1gdqcfi2ndpv/EnhancedValueSelection.fp7

• 2. Re: Search box lag
            EP

On what relationship have you based this portal?

Contacts::NameRefresh X OfficeCases::gSearchfield2

-I have 2 other X relationships between these table occurrences, could that be the reason (maybe I should make a new occurrence?)

What method are you using to get the portal to refresh after each keystroke?

OnObjectModify script trigger with the following script:   Set Field [OfficeCases::gSearchField2; OfficeCases::gSearchField2]....the portal filter is: IsEmpty ( OfficeCases::gSearchField2) or PatternCount ( Contacts::Contact Name ; OfficeCases::gSearchField2)

What method do you use to pop open that window and display a record?

I set variables and then use an if statement that detects windows platforms: if [abs ( get (systemplatform)) = 2 ]......then a move/resize window function.... end if;      followed by a Go to Related Record function that creates a new window (modal popup)....Hide toolbars, text ruler and formatting bar is off.  I would copy and paste the entire script here, but can't figure out how to do that in FMP12 Advanced.

I use similar scripts for my other search portals without issue.

• 3. Re: Search box lag
              EP

To ADD to my last comment:

Upon playing around with it some more; it seems that the problem with the popup window/FMP12 freezing only occurs if the follwoing is done:

1-user types in search critera

2-User clicks on a portal record

IF the user DOES NOT search 9doesn't type into gSearchField2), but rather scrolls to find the portal record, then clicks it, there isn't a problem.

• 4. Re: Search box lag
                philmodjunk

I have 2 other X relationships between these table occurrences,

Please elaborate on what you mean by that. I can definitely imagine ways that could produce a noticeable lag in how smoothly things refresh and can't imagine a reason for setting up the relationship in that manner.

• 5. Re: Search box lag
                  EP

Sure. I have the following relationships:  Contacts::NameRefresh X OfficeCases::gSearchfield3 and Contacts::NameRefresh X OfficeCases::gSearchfield4

This makes a total of 3 relationships between the 2 table occurrences.

• 6. Re: Search box lag
                    philmodjunk

Actually, that's one relationship with 3 pairs of match fields.

That's not what I was concerned about. WHen you said "between" I was picturing a relationship chain between the layout and portal table occurrences.

"Table Occurrences" are what we call the "boxes" found in Manage | Database | Relationships.

If your portal filter expression is:

IsEmpty ( OfficeCases::gSearchField2) or PatternCount ( Contacts::Contact Name ; OfficeCases::gSearchField2)

why do you include these other match fields in the relaitonship?

What happens if you remove them?

• 7. Re: Search box lag
                      EP

Instead of removing them, I  added another table occurrence of Contacts (Contacts 3) and created the relationship: Contacts 3::NameRefresh X OfficeCases::gSearchfield2.

Symptoms persist.  Can't seem to figure out the issue here.

• 8. Re: Search box lag
                        philmodjunk

You might also take a look at the rest of your layout, conditional formats, unstored calculations, summary fields. You may want to duplicate your layout and then run tests from the duplicate by deleting other layout elements, conditional formats etc to see if that affects the results.

Are you testing this on windows xp, windows 7, windows 8...?

If you try my original demo file out in the same context, do you get delays with it?

• 9. Re: Search box lag
                          EP

Windows 7.

Your original demo file works fine.

I removed 4 other portals from the layout.  Typing into the search field is still slow/lags but no more problems with the popup window now.....

• 10. Re: Search box lag
                            philmodjunk

The next step is to put each of the details that allows the demo file to smoothly update under a microscope to see if there are any differences. For example, check the auto-entered calculation on the "refresh" field to see if it has all the same options specified.

You might also try recovering the file and see if the recovered copy performs differently. Recovering rebuilds all field indexes, among other things and if there's an issue there, the recover might correct the issue. If the recovered file works, you can then try using advanced recovery options with "copy blocks as is" and "rebuild indexes" as the only options selected. This is the one set of options I use on a file when I intend to put the recovered copy into regular use or further development.

You may have a question at this point if the recovered file doesn't lag:

"Why doesn't it lag on the Mac?"

Our database files are a "black box" into which we stuff in some data and then expect to get some data back. We can't see the inner workings to know why a damaged file fails to work correctly--we only can tell that the file is damaged when the ouput is clearly incorrect or when recover or FileDiff tells us that it is damaged. But from prior experience, I can tell you that sometimes a damaged file will function normally on one platform or one version of the OS and not on another.