AnsweredAssumed Answered

Search Issue.

Question asked by Matty_1 on Oct 8, 2013
Latest reply on Oct 9, 2013 by Matty_1

Title

Search Issue.

Hi there,

A few weeks ago I submitted a post stating that I was having issues searching in a particular portal portal on a particular page.  The original thread can be found here.  I was in contact with Phil and he asked if I would care to share the file.  I got busy and side tracked with other things until today when we wanted to search for things in that portal once again and hit a road block.

Having sat on it for a little while it sparked a few ideas before I was going to post the file and here's what I found.  What appears to be causing the problem is in the relationship.  I don't know if it's because of old school ways before the filter function was introduced or not but I like to use relationships to "filter" out records instead of the filter function in the portal.  Just seems cleaner to me to have it hard coded into the relationship.  That being said, I have a relationship that when is used does not allow me to find any results when I conduct a search and when not used it works fine.  The condition in the relationship that appears to break the search is

cDelete (not equal symbol) MARKER | Delete

When the field MARKER | Delete has delete as it's contents, the record is removed from the portal.  What prompted me to look into this was that when I added the condition to the relationship, the option to allow creation of records via this relationship would gray itself out.  Sure enough that was the problem.

I realize (and have tested) that the solution to this can be to use the filter function but I'm still not really sure why this wouldn't work ... can someone please explain this to me?  Thanks.

Outcomes