This is the W O Search Script
I suggest checking to see how $$VCRNumber gets a value and make sure that the variable name is spelled exactly like you have here.
Your script BTW, is unecessarily complicated. You can remove the IF blocks that check to see if the variables are empty and just keep the set field steps. The find result will be the same.
Sorry, I was editing...
Here is the continued code for the SCRIPT... one more post
VCR gets its value in the Work Order in the field VCRNumber. The script grabs the number fine, it loses the value in the Perform Find  part at the bottom and the error message pops after every search. The other fields yield correclty.
Here is a screen shot of all the OT. Note, the collapsed ones are also quite large, just to give you a glimpse.
A global variable won't just "lose" a value. Either it didn't get the value in the first place (check the spelling in your set variable step.) or some other script step is clearing it.
My guess is something in the posted script above is clearing it.
I followed it through with Debugger and something in the code in the last code window posted is doing just that, clearing it for some reason.
I have spent quite a few hours working through this and I am at a loss.
Your posted script does not show how the variable gets that value in the first place and none of the steps shown could possibly alter the value of the variable. (and so I can't help wondering if there isn't a typo in your field name.)
Since you have watched the value in the data viewer while stepping through the script in the debugger, where exactly do you see the variable's value change?
Perform Script ["Grab Search"]
Is the missing piece. I added Set Variable [$$_gVCRNumber]
and it now holds the value....
Thanks, Phil.... your help has been invaluable so far! Greatly appreciated!
is not the same variable number specified in your script. It's spelled differently.
Sorry, I am not posting step by step what I have done. You are correct, based on the above initial posts.
After your comments about spelling, I went back and also made everything identical. They are all spelled the same and the script peforms as it should! Thanks
Misspelled variable names are one of the more subtle "gotchas" in FileMaker scripting as they do not trigger any errors--neither when you use the misspelled variable name in a script step or calculation nor when the script executes.
And they can be darn hard to spot as our brains tend to fill in the correct spelling even when looking right at the misspelled version.
I've take to copying the variable name directly from the set field step or Let function call that creates the variable to paste into any subsequent steps that use that variable.