2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 5, 2010 10:54 AM by raybaudi

Search on an icon in a container field?

bobmonty

Title

Search on an icon in a container field?

Hello,

I am trying to search on a container field in my database. I place a tiny jpeg image of a star in the container field to denote records that require my attention.

Is there a way to search on this field and have my database only display the starred records?

I am running Filemaker Pro 9.0v3 and I use a MacBook Pro running Snow Leopard.

Thank you...

• 1. Re: Search on an icon in a container field?
          hbrendel

Create a checkbox field 'Mark' with a value list that only has the value "1". Hide the "1" by making the field very small. You can add your own label, i.e. "Marked".

You can then do a search, finding the records with value 1 in the field 'Mark'.

You can still show your icon by making an unstored calc field 'cDisplayMark', (result container) with the calculation:

Case ( Mark ; gIcon ; "" )

gIcon is a global field (type container) that contains your icon.

If you don't want to display the mark field but only the container, then change the field Icon into a button, with the script step:

Set Field [Mark; value: Case ( Mark ; "" ; 1)]

In case you don't display the Mark field itself you won't need the value list.

Success!

• 2. Re: Search on an icon in a container field?
            raybaudi

bobmonty wrote:

Is there a way to search on this field and have my database only display the starred records?

Not directly in that field...

Create a new calculated field with calc:

not IsEmpty ( YourContainerField )

Then make a find ( by hand or by script ) putting a 1 into that new field.

Note that I suppose that the container field may contain a star or nothing.