2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 8, 2013 3:15 PM by JeanneM

Search via checkbox item behaves unexpectedly

JeanneM

Title

Search via checkbox item behaves unexpectedly

I work with primarily three databases which include names and addresses of patrons, etc.

In all three, I have sometimes have an issue where a certain checkbox search yields unexpected results.

For example, persons with one item checked, will consistently NOT appear in a search for that check box. In other times, the reverse will happen: persons WITHOUT a particular box checked WILL appear in some searches, when they shouldn't be.

I have checked the text version of the field and they have not included anything errant...

In addition, I should mention that I have noticed this kind of thing happens if words of the box option in question are included in other checkbox options. For example, "TAP - I;" will sometimes show up in searches for "TAP - II;" because all the characters from "TAP - I;" are included in "TAP - II;"

Again, however, this is not always consistent...

You can see above, for example, that I started to add an "ending symbol" or punctuation at the end of my checkbox entries to assist with less isntances of this, to denote the end of an option's text. It has helped, but not 100%.

HELP!

(I should mention I am on FMP 8.)

• 1. Re: Search via checkbox item behaves unexpectedly
          philmodjunk

For example, "TAP - I;" will sometimes show up in searches for "TAP - II;" because all the characters from "TAP - I;" are included in "TAP - II;"

Actually, this should not happen if you include the semi-colon as the criteria.

• 2. Re: Search via checkbox item behaves unexpectedly
            JeanneM

Hi, I know this has been over a year, but I wanted to say I discovered the reason for this.

I started to include the semi-colons for the same thing that Phil had thought: I thought it would make the value unique.

However, at least this version of FileMaker Pro conducts somewhat of a loose search when using CHECK BOXES.
                 If you search for TAP I;, fields with values that CONTAIN the word "tap" and the letter "i" will come up.
                 So, TAP II;, TAP III;, and so forth will come up.

I noticed this because I was searching for a field value MODERN 3-6, and a record that included the values MODERN 6-9 and BALLET 3-6 came up because the value included both the term "modern" and the numbers "3-6" even though they were not in consecutive order as I had searched for.