1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 2, 2010 11:57 AM by dhafitch

Search-Term page fails to work for IWP but works for local file: why?

dhafitch

Title

Search-Term page fails to work for IWP but works for local file: why?

The first page on my database is a "query page" that allows users to search for different kinds of data.  A search term is entered into one of several edit-boxes (nearly all of which have controlled vocabulary via a Value List). Then one of several buttons is pushed to run a particular find script using the search term (usually passed to the ScriptParameter).  This works great for controlling the finds on the local file.  The buttons and scripts also work great via IWP.  HOWEVER, whenever a user clicks on any of the edit boxes, the Browser hangs up interminably. This means that I actually have to force-quit FileMaker on the server (because communication with users seems to be hung up somewhere).

How can the simple act of clicking in an Edit Box hang up IWP?

Many thanks to anyone who can help!

--confused & frustrated.

• 1. Re: Search-Term page fails to work for IWP but works for local file: why?
          dhafitch

Well, I figured this out.  When you have an edit box with a pull-down Value List, make sure your value list only contains a few values.  Otherwise, your database will hang (my database has over 19,000 possible values--e.g. genes in the genome).  Apparently the communication between a browser and IWP is REALLY SLOW in this respect!  Even if all those values are indexed!

My workaround, unfortunately, is just to provide an edit box without a pull-down list.  I suppose it might be possible to generate a pop-up layout that provides a list of values.  Strange that that should be faster...

;-p