AnsweredAssumed Answered

Searching Based on a Multi-Line Field, and, Saving User Settings

Question asked by JL_1 on Dec 3, 2010
Latest reply on Dec 4, 2010 by FentonJones

Title

Searching Based on a Multi-Line Field, and, Saving User Settings

Hello everyone,

First, I would like to say that although this is my first post, I've been reading threads here for the last several months. I've learned an enormous amount from reading the advice of posters here, and I am very grateful for this online resource.

I have two related issues/questions that I've been working for weeks to figure out. I would be very grateful for any advice you would be willing to offer me:

Issue 1: I have a global, multi-line text field that I would like to use to store a temporary list of names of companies based on user input. When a user clicks on a company name to mark it for later viewing, a script runs that copies the name into the global text field (without deleting any names that have been previously copied there). What I can't figure out is this: I would like to be able to perform a Find for which the results are any records with a Company Name that is listed in the global field. I realize that I could make a script go through each company record one-by-one and Omit it if it matches and then Show Omitted Records Only. I'm hoping, however, that there's some simpler way, using a basic Find or something like it, to accomplish this. The problem is getting FileMaker to recognize that I'm not looking for records that match the /entire/ global text field -- rather, I'm looking for records that match /any one line/ of the text field.

Issue 2: While I'm interested in Issue 1 above out of curiosity as well as utility at this point, the point of Issue 1 above is to allow users to save settings in a multi-user environment. If I could have a record in a seperate Users table for each user, I could, it seems, allow users, e.g., to flag records for their own later viewing/printing by using text fields (which wouldn't be global, as above, in this case) to store user settings. Is there a better way in FileMaker to accomplish this same end?

Thank you very much for your help! I'll be very appreciative of your feedback!

-J

FileMaker Pro 11, Windows XP

Outcomes