5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 24, 2012 3:22 PM by philmodjunk

Searching Container Fields

wbanks

Title

Searching Container Fields

I'm using FM12.

A coworker menioned to me that she believed it was possible to search the (text) contents of files contained in a container field.

I do not quite understand how this would be accomplished, but I wanted to verify as I am new to this version of FM.

Thanks

• 1. Re: Searching Container Fields
          philmodjunk

Say your container field is named "Image".

Define a calculation field with this expression:

Select Text as the return type.

You can now search the contents of this calculation field to find records based on the text stored in the Image field.

• 2. Re: Searching Container Fields
            wbanks

Your answer helps me with another issue, but doesn't quite get me where I need to be.

Using Automator, I've created an application that will extract the text from documents.

I'm obviously very new at this, but how do I execute that application via FM scripting?

• 3. Re: Searching Container Fields
              philmodjunk

What is automator?

• 4. Re: Searching Container Fields
                wbanks

Automator is a simple application creation tool in the MAC environment.  It allows a user to direct (specific) applications to perform simple tasks.  The action list is then saved as an APP.

So essentially, I just need instructions on how I can execute an APP from FM.

• 5. Re: Searching Container Fields
                  philmodjunk

I'm not a mac user. I would guess that automater may be generating an applescript, but that's just a guess. From FileMaker, the send event script step can be used to open a file. This may work for a file created by automator, but others would need to confirm that.

It's often possible to get what you need done fully within FileMaker scripting and not need a system level script or macro to get the job done. This can be both simpler and create a solution that works equally well on mac and windows systems.